Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting Nexus 7 without wugfresh toolkit?

Tip us?

sam4eva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Rooting Nexus 7 without wugfresh toolkit?

I know how to root using Nexus Root Toolkit, I want to ask about any alternatives like using adb shell or other method.
Well, I am new to android development.

UsmanJ
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam4eva View Post
I know how to root using Nexus Root Toolkit, I want to ask about any alternatives like using adb shell or other method.
Well, I am new to android development.
First, you need to set up Android SDK Tools(here), you'll only need to install "Android Platform-tools".
Download SuperSU and put it in your device's storage.

Download the latest version of TWRP Recovery : For WiFi(grouper) or For 3G(tilapia)
Place the downloaded image in: "C:\Users\#YOURUSERNAME#\AppData\Local\Android\andr oid-sdk\platform-tools" this is the default Android SDK installation directory for platform-tools, might be different for you.

Power on your Nexus by pressing the Power+VolumeDown buttons while it's booting up. Connect it to your computer using your MircroUSB.

Navigate to "C:\Users\#YOURUSERNAME#\AppData\Local\Android\andr oid-sdk\platform-tools", hold the Shift key and right-click anywhere in the blank regions of the window. Choose "Open command window here", and then type:

fastboot flash recovery NAMEOFYOURRECOVERYFILE.img

Once done hold Power+VolumeDown, then select Recovery.

One you're in TWRP, choose Install and then install the SuperSU zip file you downloaded earlier.

Tada! That's all.

P.S: I personally prefer TWRP and SuperSU, you may install any other superuser application or recovery using this method.

Regards,
UsmanJ
My Devices:
Google Nexus 7 - Stock KOT49H, SuperSU 1.89, TWRP 2.6.3.1
Samsung Galaxy Ace - CM10.1 [BAZINGA], CWM 5.0.2.6
My Blog:
The Techno Geeks!
The Following User Says Thank You to UsmanJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HumlaHooligan
Old
(Last edited by HumlaHooligan; 27th January 2014 at 09:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmanJ View Post
-tutorial-
I can't get to the part when you install SuperSU, my tablet freezes on the Google screen after I boot into recovery. I am unlocked.