Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Huge Miscellaneous File

26th January 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 49

190 posts
More
So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb from 16gb. Here is the problem, looking in storage it shows over 19gb being used for miscellaneous files. Now unfortunately they upgraded her software to 4.3 before they sent it back. (dirty bastards.....lol) Just didn't know if there was something to do to gain that lost space. Looking at my phone which is 16gb model it only shows less then 4gb used for misc. files. I did try doing a factory reset and it didn't change anything. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
26th January 2014, 11:14 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 756

1,504 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson318

So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb from 16gb. Here is the problem, looking in storage it shows over 19gb being used for miscellaneous files. Now unfortunately they upgraded her software to 4.3 before they sent it back. (dirty bastards.....lol) Just didn't know if there was something to do to gain that lost space. Looking at my phone which is 16gb model it only shows less then 4gb used for misc. files. I did try doing a factory reset and it didn't change anything. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

There's no easy fix for this without a custom recovery. Since you're already stock, you can try to Odin the stock 4.3 file located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

This will format everything and return you to a factory state, should clear up miscellaneous files.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,528

5,200 posts
Quote:

So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb.

If you tab on misc files, It should display all the folder name and its size. I know that you don't have root yet but see if you can delete them as is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

There's no easy fix for this without a custom recovery. Since you're already stock, you can try to Odin the stock 4.3 file located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

This will format everything and return you to a factory state, should clear up miscellaneous files.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

so i tried without the pit file first and it still was the same. then did it with the pit file and now the misc files reads 5.74gb instead of the 19.76gb it did read. so this worked very well.
Last edited by Hobson318; 26th January 2014 at 10:30 PM.
26th January 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

If you tab on misc files, It should display all the folder name and its size. I know that you don't have root yet but see if you can delete them as is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

checked it and the files were very small. not planning on doing anything other than stock with this phone. but i would like to get back what appears to me to be lost storage space.
26th January 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1,528

5,200 posts
Quote:

checked it and the files were very small. not planning on doing anything other than stock with this phone. but i would like to get back what appears to me to be lost storage space.

if you tab on the MISC storage and it should display a list of folders with size, can you upload the screen shot? It's possible that they make a backup of your phone before they upgraded...
27th January 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

if you tab on the MISC storage and it should display a list of folders with size, can you upload the screen shot? It's possible that they make a backup of your phone before they upgraded...

When I tabbed on the misc files it did give me a list but the files were small. i was able to fix it anyway by odin the stock 4.3 software and using the 32gb pit file. now the misc files show as 5.76gb as it should instead of 19.76gb like it did. so i am all set.
27th January 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 176

829 posts
More
Quote:

Are you on stock?

Stock roms like to hide files and it can make it seem like there's a bajillion unnecessary files on the device, when it's actually just misc files related to the rom OR, if you're not rooted, you can't even see the files that are taking up so much space.
27th January 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206

Are you on stock?

Stock roms like to hide files and it can make it seem like there's a bajillion unnecessary files on the device, when it's actually just misc files related to the rom OR, if you're not rooted, you can't even see the files that are taking up so much space.

Yeah it is on stock. When Samsung fixed it they upgraded it for me to 4.3. I can't complain too much though since it is my daughters phone and when they put in a new system board, they put in the 32gb one instead of the 16gb that was in it. and didn't charge me a cent. but the partitions had to be messed because as soon as i flashed the pit file which repartitioned the phone, my misc file size came down to normal and i gained 14gb of space. so i guess the moral is, if the misc files size is way out of control and nothing fixes it, try repartitioning.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread