Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I also tried this method, step 3 b)

Code:
root@android:/ # sh /sdcard/simfinder.sh                                       
Searching mmcblk0p7...
1|root@android:/ #
No output except changing my prompt to have a "1|" in front. I don't know what that means, and it disappears on running new commands.

al_f
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Hooray!

Well, I let it all rest for a while, then tried with yet another SIM. And would ya believe it, now it works!

Interestingly, the phone also works with the SIM it (seemingly?) rejected in the first place. So while I'm happy to finally have a fully functioning Sensation, I don't really know which part of all the tricks I tried that made it work.

Nonetheless, hopefully my efforts will be of help to somebody!

al_f
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default woah, not so fast...

After successfully making one call, problem is back. WTF?

According to my provider here, those "SIM does not allow connection"-messages are only for SIM-locks. If this is correct, my phone must still be locked to T-Mobile. If so, hats off to them for creating a hard-to-crack-lock, but there gotta be something I didn't try?

Or is it possible that the lock is placed outside the phone, in the network? If so, how would that work - is the phone transmitting details like IMEI when calling?

Again, thankful for any and all input!

rzr86
Old
Thanks Meter 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
After successfully making one call, problem is back. WTF?

According to my provider here, those "SIM does not allow connection"-messages are only for SIM-locks. If this is correct, my phone must still be locked to T-Mobile. If so, hats off to them for creating a hard-to-crack-lock, but there gotta be something I didn't try?

Or is it possible that the lock is placed outside the phone, in the network? If so, how would that work - is the phone transmitting details like IMEI when calling?

Again, thankful for any and all input!
did you see this post from the unlock simcard thread?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...232107&page=54 (post #531)

DEVICE: HTC Sensation Z710e
PREVIOUS ROM:Rooted Stock Rom ICS Sence 3.6 Revelation 1.0.3 JB Sense 4+ ViperS 3.1.4 JB Sense 4+
CURRENT ROM:ViperS 5.1.0 JB Sense 5
FIRMWARE:3.32.401.5
PREVIOUS KERNEL:Overclocked kernel v1.5.2 by SebastianFM
CURRENT KERNEL:kernel 3.4.10 by SebastianFM
BOOTLOADER:unlocked
HBOOT VERSION:1.27.0000
RECOVERY:4EXT recovery touch v.1.0.0.6 RC1
S-ON
The Following User Says Thank You to rzr86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

al_f
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr86 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...232107&page=54 (post #531)
Thanks, yes I tried it (direct link to post), but maybe I overlooked something. It starts to get challenging to keep track of all the PG58's I've been running, but I'll give it another go!

Any particular reason why the guide says to get 3.32 not 3.33 - would it make sense to install some older stock 401 RUU first? And I have a feeling I should avoid those RUU's marked TMOUS as I expect them to keep the T-Mobile connection.

rzr86
Old
Thanks Meter 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Thanks, yes I tried it (direct link to post), but maybe I overlooked something. It starts to get challenging to keep track of all the PG58's I've been running, but I'll give it another go!

Any particular reason why the guide says to get 3.32 not 3.33 - would it make sense to install some older stock 401 RUU first? And I have a feeling I should avoid those RUU's marked TMOUS as I expect them to keep the T-Mobile connection.
no there is no particular reason for the firmware version
maybe the guide was written before 3.33 fw get released

DEVICE: HTC Sensation Z710e
PREVIOUS ROM:Rooted Stock Rom ICS Sence 3.6 Revelation 1.0.3 JB Sense 4+ ViperS 3.1.4 JB Sense 4+
CURRENT ROM:ViperS 5.1.0 JB Sense 5
FIRMWARE:3.32.401.5
PREVIOUS KERNEL:Overclocked kernel v1.5.2 by SebastianFM
CURRENT KERNEL:kernel 3.4.10 by SebastianFM
BOOTLOADER:unlocked
HBOOT VERSION:1.27.0000
RECOVERY:4EXT recovery touch v.1.0.0.6 RC1
S-ON

al_f
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr86 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=531 (edited link)
This guide solved my problem.

A little recap:

I have the 4ext recovery. After unsuccessful attempts with ARHD 7.3 I reinstalled Cyanogenmod 9.1 for pyramid. After this too proved unsuccesful I followed the above linked guide.
  • Download the 1.17 firmware for your device from the User Friendly Firmware thread.
  • Follow the instructions in the thread to flash the firmware.
So far, so good.
  • Remove the SD Card & get rid of the PG58IMG.zip & put PG58DIAG.nbh on your SD Card.
  • Reboot to the bootloader & clear S-58 data by selecting appropriate options.
  • Once data has been wiped, pull out the battery to power off the phone & exit from the diag.
  • Remove the SD Card & get rid of the PG58IMG.nbh.
Clear S58 data reportedly succeeded, but after removing battery and switching back on, volume down + power didn't work. Instead of going to bootloader menu, the phone consequently tried to start cyanogenmod and got stuck in a booting loop or just hang during startup. I had to remove the battery a couple of times before I was able to get back to bootloader.

It's not clearly stated in the guide, but I got the impression the phone shouldn't boot normally after DIAG, but go directly to those last steps:
  • Download the 3.32 firmware for your device from the User Friendly Firmware thread.
  • Follow the instructions in the thread to flash the firmware.
However it looks like it doesn't matter. I tried many ROMS in vain.

Then I followed the guide once more, making sure to use the Firmware 3.32 Universal (Non-TMOUS). Then trying again with ARHD 7.3 and calling finally worked.

Case closed

al_f
Old
(Last edited by al_f; 8th February 2014 at 09:16 PM.) Reason: Added info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Epilogue

Well, my problem was solved for, like 15 hours, but now I'm back at the "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" error message.

Several other people have reported that same problem. Bingley's solution doesn't work for me.

iviarck's problem resembles mine more closely. Regardless of my settings for preferred network, they return to WCDMA preferred. My sim works in other phones.

Blocked IMEI's are mentioned in the thread, so I checked my IMEI at T-mobile's site. The message is clear: "Your device is blocked and will not work on T-Mobile’s network".

Then I checked with http://checkesnfree.com/ which shows the T-mobile block, but where it seems the phone is not reported stolen. I assume it means that the original owner didn't fulfill contractual payment. Back to check out T-Mob's FAQ: "I purchased this device from another party. How do I unblock it? Unfortunately, T-Mobile is only able to assist the party that financed the device or agreed to the annual service term with payment options or contract information."

Now, from this thread it would look possible to use the phone in Norway regardless of the block and it certainly was for at least a year, according to the previous owner.

I made the phone work with a variety of SIMs now, so I'm sure it's not a matter of SIM-lock - it looks like IMEI blocking made it across the Atlantic. I'll talk to my provider and hopefully there is some possibility of lifting the block.

Edit: My provider says to talk to T-Mobile. So I'm stuck in the loop...