5,604,443 Members 48,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Newbie to G2, verifying that I have what I need to start out.

Tip us?

ixijimixi
Old
(Last edited by ixijimixi; 27th January 2014 at 04:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default [Q]Newbie to G2, verifying that I have what I need to start out.

Hi everyone. I'm coming over from Sammyville to the land of LG, on AT&T. From the reading I've been doing on these boards, I've decided that I'm going to root the phones right out of the gate, if only so that I can use the Xposed Framework (although I assume a custom ROM will be in the cards once I get sick of all the bloatware). I just want to ensure that I've managed to piece together the process so far.

1. Accept no OTA update
2. Install LG Drivers (non-verizon version)
3. Run IORoot, using steps here
4. Download and run Freegee app to bypass bootloader & install TWRP
5. Backup the EFS partition and save it somewhere, in case I bork everything afterwards
6. Don't accept any OTA

Is that the basic idea of the path of least resistance? As I understood it, accepting the OTA updates complicates installing a custom ROM later on?
Device xxxxxLG Optimus G Pro (i317)
ROM iiiiixxxxxUm...what day is today?

*twitch* Thanks to all the devs, themers, and mods for keeping the addiction alive *twitch*

nms247
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixijimixi View Post
Hi everyone. I'm coming over from Sammyville to the land of LG, on AT&T. From the reading I've been doing on these boards, I've decided that I'm going to root the phones right out of the gate, if only so that I can use the Xposed Framework (although I assume a custom ROM will be in the cards once I get sick of all the bloatware). I just want to ensure that I've managed to piece together the process so far.

1. Accept no OTA update
2. Install LG Drivers (non-verizon version)
3. Run IORoot, using steps here
4. Download and run Freegee app to bypass bootloader & install TWRP
5. Backup the EFS partition and save it somewhere, in case I bork everything afterwards
6. Don't accept any OTA

Is that the basic idea of the path of least resistance? As I understood it, accepting the OTA updates complicates installing a custom ROM later on?

I rooted, then installed the OTA. Then but on twrp did a backup and then flashed a custom rom. I also backed up the original recovery and bootloader with flashify..

Steamer86
Old
(Last edited by Steamer86; 28th January 2014 at 01:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 126
Universal drivers. Back up EFS first and foremost after IOroot and recovery(both zips in multiple copies and locations). Freege works, but I prefer flashify / Phil's CWM. Backup also original boot, recovery, and kernel. Freeze the updater app as not accidentally accept. You sir, have done your homework. Accepting the OTA can fail or "softbrick" the phone destroying recovery. Freezing works better than chance. These steps may be painstaking, but will save your ass in a mishap.