Tip us?

NexusS4gFreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
The battery behaviour you described is completely normal if you understand how a battery of this type works, and if you understand how the software (especially the display of battery percentage) works in conjunction with it.

Sent from my Evita
So youre telling me having the phone get to 22% and instantly drop to zero and power down is normal? Makes no sense at all. Also i cant get it to charge too 100% for anything. So if theres no fix to this, anybody want a one x with a troublesome battery?
Active: Galaxy S3
Former 10: iPhone 4S
Former 9: ATT HTC One X
Former 8: Sprint EVO 3D
Former 7: Sprint Galaxy Nexus (for sale)
Former 6: Sprint Apple iPhone 4
Former 5: Sprint LG Optimus G
Former 4: Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus CDMA/Sprint
Former 3: Apple iPhone 4
Former 2: HTC EVO 3D (x5)
Former 1: Samsung/Google Nexus S 4G
Former: Huawei Ascend

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4657

DONATE TO ME
What I'm saying is the battery percentage displayed by the software is never exact, it's only an estimate based on the voltage level of your battery. Your battery sounds like its long term life (capacity) has been decreased over time and possibly bad treatment (allowing the device to discharge too much too many times).

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | KarbonKat 4.4.2 1.0-5
S-off | 2.14 | Modified TWRP 2.6.3
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 27th January 2014 at 04:29 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusS4gFreak View Post
So youre telling me having the phone get to 22% and instantly drop to zero and power down is normal? Makes no sense at all.
Depends on what you define as "normal". Such behavior is certainly not unheard of (although you particular collection of symptoms may point to a more serious issue, which I'll get to later). Couple things you have to remember: the battery meter is far from accurate. Being off by 10% or more is not unusual (completely normal). So jumping from 5 to 13% as you mentioned is not out of the question. The battery voltage is not actually jumping around, just the % battery number that the phone is assigning to various voltage readings. Reading errors happen, and if a jump is noticed, its just the meter correcting itself.

Which brings us to the other point that should be kept in mind: the battery % is not a "real" measurement. Its just a number assigned to various voltages to give the average person a sense of how much battery is left. Its a completely fabricated and artificial measure that just gives some relative sense of when a user should charge their battery. Phone makers just decided to use a system that average people would understand, like the fuel gauge on a car. Zero doesn't really mean zero (or anywhere close), but reporting in voltages would make no sense for most folks. Also, as we all well know, just because (for example) it took you 12 hours to drain the phone to 50%, does not necessarily mean the phone will last another 12 hours to drain the remaining 50%. It all depends on what you are doing with the phone during that time. Which leaves the question: What does the % battery really mean? Really, not a heck of a lot.

On the other hand, the battery failing to charge to 100% is troublesome, as is the apparent frequency of the meter drops and the fact that the issue remains after various ROM flashes. Leads me to believe there may be some hardware issue going on.

The short answer: IMO while some of the individual symptoms are not unusual, the seeming frequency (you haven't exactly quantified this, but it seems relative frequent just based on your descriptions) may suggest a larger issue, but its not certain.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted

NexusS4gFreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
Thanks it explained a lot but it happened again today, went to the store with ~36% on the meter and walked out, haven't touched it at all, phone was completely dead. Tried to charge and it went to 6% and stopped charging, all signs showed it was charging but it was stuck on 6. Then it started climbing again and reached about 16% and actually started losing charge while on the charger. Switched over to my portable battery charger i just got and it held the charge at about 5% for ~30 minutes, which is what it was when i plugged it in and started to charge, then it stopped againand during the whole process the phone was getting very hot. Yea im getting a new phone :/
Active: Galaxy S3
Former 10: iPhone 4S
Former 9: ATT HTC One X
Former 8: Sprint EVO 3D
Former 7: Sprint Galaxy Nexus (for sale)
Former 6: Sprint Apple iPhone 4
Former 5: Sprint LG Optimus G
Former 4: Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus CDMA/Sprint
Former 3: Apple iPhone 4
Former 2: HTC EVO 3D (x5)
Former 1: Samsung/Google Nexus S 4G
Former: Huawei Ascend