5,594,341 Members 38,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z1s/Z1 display over exposure?

Tip us?

randaddy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] Z1s/Z1 display over exposure?

Since I'm in the process of waiting for an unlock code for my Z1s, I've been using it along side my LG G2 and I'm noticing a big discrepancy between the way identical photos look on both devices. That's to say the Z1's display seems to have 1-2 stops of exposure compensation applied to any image that's displayed on screen.

For example, I beamed a Z1s photo to my G2. Image looked underexposed (dark) on the G2, perfect on the Z1s. Same image sent to my wife's iPhone 5, same result as the G2 (underexposed).
Beamed an G2 photo to the Z1s. About 2 stops overexposed (bright), loss of detail in the highlights and overly exposed noisy dark areas in the photo.

I've tried this with half a dozen photos taken/viewed on both devices with X reality both on/off, and different screen brightness levels. All images appear to be over exposed by the Z1s display, to the point where I saw shadow details that were not visible at all on the G2.

I realize there's a difference between the IPS panels used in other devices and the TFT LCD used in the Z1, but as far as I know this should only affect viewing angles and some color accuracy. Overexposure seems to be something the Z1s display drivers are doing.

I haven't seen this particular display attribute mentioned here in the forums, so I'm curious if anyone else has made direct comparisons of identical images viewed on a Z1/Z1s and a different device. Now, some of you may see this as a feature of the Z1's display, but not knowing what my friends/family will see when they open their inbox or click a social media link is definitely a minus in my book.

xXFlippyXx
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Yesterday I've watched an YouTube video about this. I think it goes in that direction
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sourc...lw_tI-5IZdnwPQ

Have a look

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to xXFlippyXx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]