Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

some questions about ascend p6

Tip us?

Pollie81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 264
Default some questions about ascend p6

hey guys,

i've been doing some reading on xda for the past few days to determine wich phone i should buy.
my choices are lg nexus 4 and offcourse the huawei ascend p6.
my first thought is to go for the nexus but as it's quite old it's hard to get (with carrier/provider subscription). it's possible but i have to choose a provider with wich i have serious doubts.
in that matter the huawei has better options for me.

but i'm not 100% convinced to buy this phone but i'm sure it has got great potential. i also really like to use custom roms and kernels.

the bootloader..
i've read that it's unlocked but has got some kind of encryption so in some way's you can say it's still locked.
though i've seen that recently there is a custom kernel available.. so does that mean that flashing custom kernels is possible?
(if i would buy a huawei it would be a european version btw)
i'm starting to understand you need to be on a CN version/unlocked firmware in order to flash custom kernels. what does that mean? does it mean you need to be on the chinese versions?
and what about going from european firmware to chinese? is this possible without problems/bricks?

one other great thing about this phone that it's getting that 4.4 update. is there any news that this new firmware will be open source?
i've also read that there is going to be a google edition of the p6 wich means a clean android version, wich means open source?? please correct me if i'm wrong!

my first impression reading this section is great, i see some dev's that really are putting a lot of time and effort in developing this phone.
i have also seen that the p6 had some bugs when it's launched but many of them are repaired by stock firmware updates wich is a good thing.
hopefully you can help me a little bit so i can make my choice..

many thanks in advance!

ha5x
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollie81 View Post
hey guys,
i've been doing some reading on xda for the past few days to determine wich phone i should buy.
my choices are lg nexus 4 and offcourse the huawei ascend p6.
Hi,

I cannot answer your questions, I just have laid my hands on a P6. I'm coming from an SGS2 (I still use that one)
My initial impressions of the P6 are mixed.

I like the thinness. I love the material (there are only a few metallic Android phones out there). I love the speed.

However, I do not like Huawei's ROM. The user interface is more like iOS, so I installed NovaLauncher, it makes life better But it looks to me that some important Android features are absent. For example, the native Android SIP client seems to be inaccessible (or is it just me not finding it?) HW wise, having the USB/charger socket at the top of the device rather than the bottom is really clumsy. The device can get uncomfortably hot during usage.

I am tempted to try a different ROM until Huawei comes out with a KitKat update,
The Following User Says Thank You to ha5x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pollie81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 264
never mind..
my first thought went to the Nexus 4 and today I've discovered it had the best deal for me.
i had to pay extra for the ascend p6 were the Nexus 4 was free in combination with my carrier subscription.
so the choice was pretty easy.. the Nexus 4 it is..

edward0181
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I have it running on HYDROM, and batt. life increased a lot. Really love my P6 (coming from iPhone).