Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,012 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Removing encryption

Tip us?

TooMuchSloeGin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Removing encryption

I am thinking of encrypting my HD+ (Settings>Security>Encrypt Tablet). As far as I can see this means simply that the /data partition will be encrypted and that CWM is afterwards not able to access this anymore (ie for backups or restores). I can do a complete backup by other means, but how would I be able to restore that?

Will the recovery still boot and will I then be able to format/wipe /data? Probably not because /data is not mounted!?

Also, what happens if I want to update the system, say to a newer version of CM?

TooMuchSloeGin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So no one's ever tried to encrypt their HD/HD+?

I am still investigating this "problem" and it seems that quite a few people have run into trouble after encrypting their tablet (TWRP Recovery seems to support an encrypted /data partition but CWM doesn't... correct me if I'm wrong).

So here's a question for the Linux gurus: if I have booted an encrypted tablet and have opened a terminal window with full root access, will I be able to unmount and reformat the /data partition? After that I should be able to reboot into recovery and restore a backup.