Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Region Locked?

Tip us?

A|ex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Region Locked?

I just replaced the girlfriends phone with a new Samsung S4 and it came with a massive sticker on the side to say it will only work in Europe but is sim unlocked etc.

After reading a few pages it seems that Samsung now lock phones to regions similar to the Note 3 but now seems to be present on the 3rd S4 I have.

I was wondering does this mean she cannot buy a sim from outside of Europe and use it in the phone and is there a way to unlock it without rooting because it came with knox and she replaces her phone every other month due to damage.
EU regulation (1999/44/CE) Does not save you if you have a Samsung or HTC

jaswinky
Old
(Last edited by jaswinky; 28th January 2014 at 11:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by A|ex View Post
I just replaced the girlfriends phone with a new Samsung S4 and it came with a massive sticker on the side to say it will only work in Europe but is sim unlocked etc.

After reading a few pages it seems that Samsung now lock phones to regions similar to the Note 3 but now seems to be present on the 3rd S4 I have.

I was wondering does this mean she cannot buy a sim from outside of Europe and use it in the phone and is there a way to unlock it without rooting because it came with knox and she replaces her phone every other month due to damage.
You need to use the phone with a European sim for about 5 voice call minutes (total gsm conversation, any received our sent call or calls), and then it will get region unlocked.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

A|ex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
This is what i thought but after speaking to a Samsung Service Centre they said that the only way to remove / disable it is to bring the device to them, leave it for a week so they can contact Samsung with software codes etc and unlock it.

I am not too sure what they can do as other reports say that this cannot be disabled.

This will be put to the test tomorrow when i test out a foreign sim in it
EU regulation (1999/44/CE) Does not save you if you have a Samsung or HTC