[Q] Region Locked?

OP A|ex

27th January 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 32

913 posts
More
I just replaced the girlfriends phone with a new Samsung S4 and it came with a massive sticker on the side to say it will only work in Europe but is sim unlocked etc.

After reading a few pages it seems that Samsung now lock phones to regions similar to the Note 3 but now seems to be present on the 3rd S4 I have.

I was wondering does this mean she cannot buy a sim from outside of Europe and use it in the phone and is there a way to unlock it without rooting because it came with knox and she replaces her phone every other month due to damage.
28th January 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 99

615 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by A|ex

I just replaced the girlfriends phone with a new Samsung S4 and it came with a massive sticker on the side to say it will only work in Europe but is sim unlocked etc.

After reading a few pages it seems that Samsung now lock phones to regions similar to the Note 3 but now seems to be present on the 3rd S4 I have.

I was wondering does this mean she cannot buy a sim from outside of Europe and use it in the phone and is there a way to unlock it without rooting because it came with knox and she replaces her phone every other month due to damage.

You need to use the phone with a European sim for about 5 voice call minutes (total gsm conversation, any received our sent call or calls), and then it will get region unlocked.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2
Last edited by jaswinky; 28th January 2014 at 12:38 PM.
28th January 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 32

913 posts
More
This is what i thought but after speaking to a Samsung Service Centre they said that the only way to remove / disable it is to bring the device to them, leave it for a week so they can contact Samsung with software codes etc and unlock it.

I am not too sure what they can do as other reports say that this cannot be disabled.

This will be put to the test tomorrow when i test out a foreign sim in it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread