[Q] SPDIF audio passthrough possibilities for RPi?

4th January 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

29 posts
More
Have no HDMI in my house. I can convert HDMI to DVI and run it into monitors, but that leaves me with no digital audio. The RPI is weak enough that I would rather offload the audio rendering to a receiver. What inexpensive and cpu efficient ways have you found to get optical or coax spdif / toslink passthrough?
5th January 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 15

48 posts
You could check out the HiFI Berry:
http://www.hifiberry.com/

There are USB DACs as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to oribunokiyuusou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th January 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oribunokiyuusou

You could check out the HiFI Berry:
http://www.hifiberry.com/

There are USB DACs as well.

More than I was expecting to pay, but it's an option that I did not know was available. I've used DACs for audio recordings. Does anyone know if there is considerably less cpu overhead for those vs the onboard analog out and some that have been tested with XBMC Rpi distros?
28th January 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fields_g

More than I was expecting to pay, but it's an option that I did not know was available. I've used DACs for audio recordings. Does anyone know if there is considerably less cpu overhead for those vs the onboard analog out and some that have been tested with XBMC Rpi distros?

The HiFiBerry Digi is an S/PDIF output (can be found on the same web site). The HiFiBerry DAC has been tested with Raspbmc. The support in the current version still does not work, but the january release of Raspbmc should fix this. I would expect that the HiFiBerry Digi will also be supported in Raspbmc soon (but not in the january release).

I don't have did any tests with the onboard sound, but with the HiFiBerry DAC there is only a minimal CPU load, as data transfer to the sound card is mostly done via DMA.

Best regards
Daniel
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread