Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does the G2 use an SD internally for storage

Tip us?

NightOrchid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] Does the G2 use an SD internally for storage

Hi folks

I love my gorgeous G2, much better than my old S4, however, I only have the 16GB (10.5 Usable), 32gb was over 100 extra

I read that a few people on here have had their G2 apart, so Does the G2 just use a simple SD internally like the old HTC phones, so can it be opened, all contents copied to a 32 or even a 64gb sd and swapped over.

cheers

AntiCommon
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I believe the answer is no, but if for some reason its yes then my 64gb card is 'bout to do some work.

LordLugard
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOrchid View Post
Hi folks

I love my gorgeous G2, much better than my old S4, however, I only have the 16GB (10.5 Usable), 32gb was over 100 extra

I read that a few people on here have had their G2 apart, so Does the G2 just use a simple SD internally like the old HTC phones, so can it be opened, all contents copied to a 32 or even a 64gb sd and swapped over.

cheers
Phones like the G2 with non-expandable internal memory don't just use any run of the mill SD card stuck inside the phone. Rather they make use of high quality NAND solid state flash memory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

I have the 32GB G2 (LS980) with about 24GB usable out the box. I had a 32GB microSD card laying around from the Note 2 it replaced. Rather than let it go to waste, i got a Meenova microSD on-the-go (OTG) reader, http://www.meenova.com/ , and i have extra storage (not that i really need it though). It's tiny, works like a charm, and best of all, the G2 works with it (and OTG in general) out the box natively.
Previous mistresses:
Epic Touch (Galaxy)
Nexus S 4G
Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note 2
LG G2 (Current)