Boot loop at Samsung welcome screen when attempting clean install.

Search This thread

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York
I am currently running SkyNote Air and want to do a clean wipe and start fresh. I've done this before without a problem but am having trouble this time around. After a clean wipe and ROM install, the phone will boot but after seeing the "Android is upgrading, Starting Apps" screen and momentarily displaying the Welcome screen the phone will go into a loop. Seems to happen after the phone connects to the network. I can interact with it to reboot into recovery if I'm quick enough.

From the searches I've done, I've already tried clearing cache and Dalvik and factory reset without any luck. I used Philz to wipe for a new ROM and TWRP to wipe internal storage as well without any luck. I've tried installing the ROM twice before rebooting recovery. Fix Permissions from TWRP also hasn't helped. I already had the 43paramtz.tar flashed and reflashing it does not help either. I have not tried the One-click method yet. That seems the only thing left to try. Just want to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
I am currently running SkyNote Air and want to do a clean wipe and start fresh. I've done this before without a problem but am having trouble this time around. After a clean wipe and ROM install, the phone will boot but after seeing the "Android is upgrading, Starting Apps" screen and momentarily displaying the Welcome screen the phone will go into a loop. Seems to happen after the phone connects to the network. I can interact with it to reboot into recovery if I'm quick enough.

From the searches I've done, I've already tried clearing cache and Dalvik and factory reset without any luck. I used Philz to wipe for a new ROM and TWRP to wipe internal storage as well without any luck. I've tried installing the ROM twice before rebooting recovery. Fix Permissions from TWRP also hasn't helped. I already had the 43paramtz.tar flashed and reflashing it does not help either. I have not tried the One-click method yet. That seems the only thing left to try. Just want to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Are you on T-mobile ?

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Yep. Using an unlocked i317 on T-Mobile with the AWS Mod. My first instinct was to remove the SIM since the phone seemed to be restarting once I was connected to the network but that didn't work either. :confused:

Ahhhh.. Like it says in your signature.... :cyclops:

Yea I'm awake.

Have your ever flashed anything else besides Sky Air ? That's the one you have reflashed after Philz/TWRP wipes right ?

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York
Ahhhh.. Like it says in your signature.... :cyclops:

Yea I'm awake.

Have your ever flashed anything else besides Sky Air ? That's the one you have reflashed after Philz/TWRP wipes right ?

;) SkyNote is the only 4.3 ROM I've tried. Yes, that was the ROM I reflashed after the full wipes. I've been flashing SkyNote from version 8 onwards and am now running the N3 version. I've seen some people have issues with the N3 version but not the Vanilla version. I haven't tried that one. I've been following MeanBean but I'm worried if I can't even get a reinstall of SkyNote Air working my chances of another ROM will probably be the same!

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
;) SkyNote is the only 4.3 ROM I've tried. Yes, that was the ROM I reflashed after the full wipes. I've been flashing SkyNote from version 8 onwards and am now running the N3 version. I've seen some people have issues with the N3 version but not the Vanilla version. I haven't tried that one. I've been following MeanBean but I'm worried if I can't even get a reinstall of SkyNote Air working my chances of another ROM will probably be the same!

MeanBean is pretty sweet. You have to remember to run the fixdata.sh.

I'm thinking you should give this a try, a stock ROM.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2589891

It's still flashing from a custom recovery.

You've done everything short of sacrificing a chicken.

Gotta run to a mind numbing meeting.....

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York
Tried flashing the stock deodexed ROM in Philz and still the same result. I can at least make it far enough to the home screen but am still getting the same reboots. I also upgraded to the 4.3 bootloader from seanz thread here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2502464) without luck. I wonder if flashing the ROM in Odin will be any different? I have my doubts but want to hear it from someone else. :eek:

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Tried flashing the stock deodexed ROM in Philz and still the same result. I can at least make it far enough to the home screen but am still getting the same reboots. I also upgraded to the 4.3 bootloader from seanz thread here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2502464) without luck. I wonder if flashing the ROM in Odin will be any different? I have my doubts but want to hear it from someone else. :eek:

If you're game you could try this

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2618447

If you do sections 1 and 2, and don't get boot loops, you can flash that stock/root/odex ROM.

Reactions: ojai00

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York
So I dirty flashed the odex version and that seems to be stable. I then factory reset to wipe it clean and that came up fine. Going to try wiping completely and installing Stock Odex again.

Update: Rooted Stock Odex seems to be the only one that is booting up fine. I then flashed SkyNote Air without any wipes and it was fine again. Once I tried to factory reset to defaults after Air is installed (wiping cache and Dalvik in the process), the boot loops begin. Guess this is what I'm going to have to do if I want to start fresh on any ROM.

Last edited:

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
So I dirty flashed the odex version and that seems to be stable. I then factory reset to wipe it clean and that came up fine. Going to try wiping completely and installing Stock Odex again.

Update: Rooted Stock Odex seems to be the only one that is booting up fine. I then flashed SkyNote Air without any wipes and it was fine again. Once I tried to factory reset to defaults after Air is installed (wiping cache and Dalvik in the process), the boot loops begin. Guess this is what I'm going to have to do if I want to start fresh on any ROM.

Too wierd. At least you found a path.... Not optimal, but functional.

I'm fighting why I can't flash a custom recovery now.

Reactions: ojai00

ojai00

Jul 6, 2010
New York

Just a thought even though I'm sure you verified. You're sure you're trying to flash the proper recovery for the device? I know TWRP and Philz make a specific version for the i317 with t0lteatt in the file name.

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Just a thought even though I'm sure you verified. You're sure you're trying to flash the proper recovery for the device? I know TWRP and Philz make a specific version for the i317 with t0lteatt in the file name.

Yepper. They live on my machine and phone. Thought it was an ODIN thing, just rooted my phone.

I do so much crap to it maybe that's was I was missing .... We'll see.

EDIT : And that was it. Interesting .....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

MeanBean is pretty sweet. You have to remember to run the fixdata.sh.

I'm thinking you should give this a try, a stock ROM.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2589891

It's still flashing from a custom recovery.

You've done everything short of sacrificing a chicken.

Gotta run to a mind numbing meeting.....
    I'll give it a shot. Good luck with the meeting. Thanks for your help! :highfive:

Good luck.... Hopefully it works.

If you're game you could try this

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2618447

If you do sections 1 and 2, and don't get boot loops, you can flash that stock/root/odex ROM.
    Thanks again. I'll try that next. Attempting the Odexed version of Zen's package first.

Sounds good. Good luck.

Not sure what is residual and causing the boot loops.