5,606,201 Members 32,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Storage available - where has it gone?

Tip us?

sjgcooper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Database [Q] Storage available - where has it gone?

Hi
I've searched and can't find any threads on this but apologies if I've missed one.
I'm using Tillaz's Infusion 4.4.2 with an 8GB Moto G.

If I go to settings->storage it says that 5.5GB are available, this seems to be consistent with what people have reported.
However, in the breakdown below that it says there is about 600MB taken by apps, 800MB taken by everything else (mostly music) and 1.2GB available.
That's almost 3GB unaccounted for.

Has anyone any ideas how I've managed to loose it?
One thought is that CWM is hiding the backup (I think I've made one or two) somewhere I can't see them as I can't see them in the normal folder structure (i.e. I can see the clockworkmod folder but there's nothing more than a couple of kB in there). If that's the case, any thoughts how I can find the backups and delete one of them?

Any help very much appreciated!
Sam

xavier66
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi there,

5.5GB is the size of your /data partition, the rest is /system, /cache ...

The fact that system>storage doesn't add up to 5.5GB is quite strange. Can you please post a screenshot of it ? You might have a screenshot option in the power down menu.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to xavier66 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DigitalSnow
Old
(Last edited by DigitalSnow; 28th January 2014 at 06:30 PM.) Reason: Image to Big
Thanks Meter 2
Calculator Total Space?

Is that the available space or the total space?

Because 5.5 + .6 + .8 + 1.2 = 8.1 GB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-12-24-12.png
Views:	46
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	2544948  
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalSnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sjgcooper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I've found that CWM gives the option to delete recovery files which were adding up to almost 2GB so it's about right now.

Still kinda strange that the backup files were not showing up when looking in the clockworkmod folder using a file explorer. Hopefully this might help someone else if they're a bit low on space...

DigitalSnow - that's a good idea but no, it's the total space.
Xavier - thanks yes it looks just like DigitalSnow's but the "total" was 5.5GB, "available" was 1.2GB and then the sum of all the others was less than 1.5GB. As you say, a bit strange, but sorted now!

Cheers
Sam

xavier66
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, CWM saves its backups to /sdcard/clockworkmod while the "available space" is /sdcard/0
This is why you can't see them from Android, and probably why the calculations when nuts.

I can't see an option to change the backup folder path, it might be a bug worth reporting to the CWM team.