[SOLVED] HTC Rezound: Stuck on htc splash, s-on, unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
I bought my friend's used HTC Rezound he was selling to me for 15 bucks. He said he "broke" it by flashing a bad ROM, and he doesn't feel like fixing it because he already replaced it with an LG G2. I figured for that price, fixing it was worth a shot. Besides, I'm coming from a Rugby Smart, and by the looks of it, this phone is a LOT better specs wise! Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how to fix it...

So when the phone is powered on, it goes to the HTC white splash and freezes there. The only way to get it off is pulling the battery. I CAN however, boot into the HBOOT menu, go to recovery, and all that stuff. So I guess what I'm trying to do is restore this to 100% stock at this point. Apparently in order to do that, I need to make sure my bootloader is locked and "S" is set to on. My "S" is on, however the bootloader is unlocked. Can someone please explain to me how I would go about fixing this phone, in a step-by-step fashion (if possible)? I would normally know what I'm doing, but this is the first HTC phone I've had, and I don't know how to use HBOOT, let alone RUU's and all this other stuff I read about for restoring this phone to stock.

Thanks.

EXCITING UPDATE: I found out how to use fastboot to re lock the bootloader, so that's done now. Also, not sure what i did, but now whenever I try to boot into recovery it gives me a security warning and I can't access it (so now I have no way of flashing ZIP's, unless there's some way of using the fastboot command on a computer to do this). I'm no expert on HTC's, but I'm getting the feeling this recovery issue seals the deal that this phone is not getting fixed, but I guess we'll have to see...

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
You need to flash a ROM and then MANUALLY flash the boot.img when S-On. Your friend probably didnt flash the boot.img, that is the cause of this issue 9 out 10 times this condition occurs.

What recovery, radios and hboot do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
You need to flash a ROM and then MANUALLY flash the boot.img when S-On. Your friend probably didnt flash the boot.img, that is the cause of this issue 9 out 10 times this condition occurs.

What recovery, radios and hboot do you have?

I'm not an HTC HBOOT expert, but where do I find this info, is this what is on the top of the screen when I first turn on hboot?

FANTASTIC UPDATE: here's what it says on the hboot screen:

*** TAMPERED ***
*** RELOCKED ***
*** Security Warning***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.28.0000
RADIO-2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r
OpenDSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507
eMMC-boot
Sep 20 2012, 17:40:22

-- I tried extracting the .img file which was called boot-signed.img from the RUU zip file and I tried flashing that separate from everything else but it did not work and still brought me to the white screen.

And please excuse me for delays in responding, I'm a new user and thus have to wait 5 minutes before new posts or edits are made :)

Last edited:

acejavelin

I would if I could, but I don't think I can. Whenever I try to start recovery that's where the mysterious security warning appears and recovery fails to start.

So what hboot and radios... This still shouldn't be too bad, you can just push whatever recovery is appropriate after we know that.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
So what hboot and radios... This still shouldn't be too bad, you can just push whatever recovery is appropriate after we know that.

Here's the hboot and radio, which is what shows up on hboot when it first starts up, coming from my post above, but this time I bolded the hboot and radio listings (THEY ARENT ACTUALLY BOLD IN HBOOT IT'S SOMETHING I DID):

*** TAMPERED ***
*** RELOCKED ***
*** Security Warning***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.28.0000

eMMC-boot

STUPENDOUS UPDATE: I just thought of this for some reason, when doing all of this, do i need the original verizon 4g lte sim in the sim slot for any reason? As you may have already guessed by me mentioning the rugby smart above, I plan to use this as a GSM with tmobile by putting on a GSM rom eventually. But my friend did give me the original verizon 4g lte sim card so if I need that just tell me what to do with it and when please.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Here's the hboot and radio, which is what shows up on hboot when it first starts up

*** TAMPERED ***
*** RELOCKED ***
*** Security Warning***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.28.0000

eMMC-boot

OK, you are on the latest radios & Hboot, but relocked ... So we have a little bit of work to do here. Someone relocked the bootloader with custom recovery installed, not a smart thing to do. The first thing that needs to be done is to unlock the bootloader again. You will need a Windows 7 PC, Linux, or Mac OS X with ADB installed (Win 8/8.1 won't work), then go to HTCdev.com and follow the Unlock Bootloader procedure.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
OK, you are on the latest radios & Hboot, but relocked ... So we have a little bit of work to do here. Someone relocked the bootloader with custom recovery installed, not a smart thing to do. The first thing that needs to be done is to unlock the bootloader again. You will need a Windows 7 PC, Linux, or Mac OS X with ADB installed (Win 8/8.1 won't work), then go to HTCdev.com and follow the Unlock Bootloader procedure.

Does this process require me to be in my OS? Because I thought I read something that said I needed to be for this but i might be wrong. Because remember, I can't get into my os because im stuck at the htc white screen

EDIT: Wait, i remember doing something like "fastboot oem lock" which I think locked the phone. Could I just do the same command to unlock it?

ANOTHER EDIT: Bootloader is now unlocked. Ready to proceed.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Does this process require me to be in my OS? Because I thought I read something that said I needed to be for this but i might be wrong. Because remember, I can't get into my os because im stuck at the htc white screen

EDIT: Wait, i remember doing something like "fastboot oem lock" which I think locked the phone. Could I just do the same command to unlock it?

Can you access recovery now? You shouldnt get a security error anymore... What recovery?

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com

It appears I have Amon-Ra recovery but i dont know which version it is. I went to Other>Source & Credits and here's what it says:

RA Revamped
Build: RA-VIGOR-v3.13-getitnowmarketing
Built by Getitnowmarketing

Credits:
Amon Ra for original source
Koush & the rest of Cyanogenmod team
Source Code for both GPL and Apache Licensed code:
https://github.com/getitnowmarketing

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Ok, last question before we really get into it, what ROM do you want to load? Do you know yet?

I would LIKE a ROM with GSM support, but at this point if that is not possible that's OK with me, I'll take a stock ROM.

How does this one look:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1720750

EDIT: Downloading now, about 35-40 mins remain. If possible, can you post the instructions in the meantime so I know what to do when it is done? Thanks!

Last edited:

acejavelin

I would LIKE a ROM with GSM support, but at this point if that is not possible that's OK with me, I'll take a stock ROM.

How does this one look:

Actually, most recent ROMs support GSM in Edge in the US... Better than that requires significant tweaking for a multitude of reasons... My suggestion would be Evervolv, Tachyon, or LiquidSmooth, best to stay with a known good ROM until we at least get working.

You should use an updated recovery, down load TWRP 2.6.3.0 extract the img file and place in the same directory as fastboot. Then start fastboot from hboot, connect the phone and once it says FASTBOOT USB type:

fastboot flash recovery (filename).img

Replace (filename) with the img name from the TWRP zip file, this will flash a current recovery.

Now copy the ROM zip to the root of the SD card. Also extract the boot.img file into the fastboot directory on your PC. Reboot into hboot and start recovery, go into Advanced and tick everything but external SD and wipe. Now back out to the main TWRP menu and install ZIP of the ROM.

Once that's done, reboot into bootloader and start fastboot, now type:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Once its done, reboot!

If Gapps are requires, once the ROM is up, copy the zip to the SD card, reboot into recovery and install Gapps Zip.

Reboot and your done!

Reactions: jasonmerc

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Actually, most recent ROMs support GSM in Edge in the US... Better than that requires significant tweaking for a multitude of reasons... My suggestion would be Evervolv, Tachyon, or LiquidSmooth, best to stay with a known good ROM until we at least get working.

You should use an updated recovery, down load TWRP 2.6.3.0 extract the img file and place in the same directory as fastboot. Then start fastboot from hboot, connect the phone and once it says FASTBOOT USB type:

Replace (filename) with the img name from the TWRP zip file, this will flash a current recovery.

Now copy the ROM zip to the root of the SD card. Also extract the boot.img file into the fastboot directory on your PC. Reboot into hboot and start recovery, go into Advanced and tick everything but external SD and wipe. Now back out to the main TWRP menu and install ZIP of the ROM.

Once its done, reboot!

If Gapps are requires, once the ROM is up, copy the zip to the SD card, reboot into recovery and install Gapps Zip.

Reboot and your done!

Thanks a lot! I would rather use the GSM rom that I mentioned because its almost done downloading and my connection is slow so downloading another would take forever. I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong.

Once again, thanks so much for the help :)

UP-UP-UP-UPDATE!!!!: I found a Cyanogenmod of some sort on the sd card with a separate zip for gsm support so ill use that instead.

Last edited:

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Thanks a lot! I would rather use the GSM rom that I mentioned because its almost done downloading and my connection is slow so downloading another would take forever. I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong.

UP-UP-UP-UPDATE!!!!: I found a Cyanogenmod of some sort on the sd card with a separate zip for gsm support so ill use that instead.

IT WORKED!!!! cm10.2!!!! Thank you so much for all your help!!!!

Reactions: acejavelin

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Back again, but this question isn't about an issue with installing ROM's, this is aimed at the GSM capabilities and how to "force" the phone to use it.

I put in my Tmobile SIM card, went into settings>mobile networks and changed the network type to Global. However, only about half of the time I turn on my phone the SIM card actually works. Sometimes, it will be working fine, and I reboot my phone, and when it comes up it no longer can find the GSM network. Then, maybe after 2-3 reboots and a battery pull, it works fine again. Other times, when I reboot, the GSM network still works fine when powering up. One time, I saw the GSM working, went to sleep for 5-6 hours, woke up, and it was no longer working. Any method I can use to somehow "force" the phone to use the SIM for Tmobile's GSM (if that's even the issue here)?

By the way, here is the ROM that I used. It advertises the fact that it is BOTH CDMA AND GSM in the title of the topic:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2135211

acejavelin

Back again, but this question isn't about an issue with installing ROM's, this is aimed at the GSM capabilities and how to "force" the phone to use it.

I put in my Tmobile SIM card, went into settings>mobile networks and changed the network type to Global. However, only about half of the time I turn on my phone the SIM card actually works. Sometimes, it will be working fine, and I reboot my phone, and when it comes up it no longer can find the GSM network. Then, maybe after 2-3 reboots and a battery pull, it works fine again. Other times, when I reboot, the GSM network still works fine when powering up. One time, I saw the GSM working, went to sleep for 5-6 hours, woke up, and it was no longer working. Any method I can use to somehow "force" the phone to use the SIM for Tmobile's GSM (if that's even the issue here)?

By the way, here is the ROM that I used. It advertises the fact that it is BOTH CDMA AND GSM in the title of the topic:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2135211

I am not familiar with that setting in CM, but I assume it is like most other ROMs for the Rez and under Settings->Wireless&Networks->More->Mobile Networks there is Preferred Network Type, you should be able to set it to "GSM/WCDMA Only" or go to Phone and dial *#*#4636#*#* (it will either pop up immediately or you might have to press Send) go to Phone Info and Set preferred network type to GSM Auto. I am pretty sure these both do the same thing though.

So when it doesn't work, does it say "NO SIM INSTALLED" or something similar? Does the phone know it's own number in Settings->About Phone->Status? Also, in the same place what signal strength are you getting?

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
I am not familiar with that setting in CM, but I assume it is like most other ROMs for the Rez and under Settings->Wireless&Networks->More->Mobile Networks there is Preferred Network Type, you should be able to set it to "GSM/WCDMA Only" or go to Phone and dial *#*#4636#*#* (it will either pop up immediately or you might have to press Send) go to Phone Info and Set preferred network type to GSM Auto. I am pretty sure these both do the same thing though.

So when it doesn't work, does it say "NO SIM INSTALLED" or something similar? Does the phone know it's own number in Settings->About Phone->Status? Also, in the same place what signal strength are you getting?

My phone does see that I have a SIM card, because in the APN's it recognizes Tmobile and lists all the different APN's for use with Tmobile. when I type in the string of numbers and characters you mentioned, the first three things it lists are the following:

IMEI: (Don't know if this is OK to give away, so not going to say it, but it does have an IMEI number there)
Phone number: unknown
Current Network: T-Mobile

In the secret menu I even switched it over to GSM only and nothing changed. When I used to use my Rugby, I would get 4-5 bars of 4G signal in my home (not LTE, just plain 4G). So I know that my house is in no way a dead zone for the Tmobile signal. Let me know if you need any other information.

INTERESTING UPDATE: I went online and looked up the APN for Tmobile, and compared to what was on the phone it was slightly different, had to add a proxy server, change to IPV4/V6, and other small stuff. Rebooted, and it works now with EDGE like it did before. I'll keep this forum updated on anything in case my signal goes down again mysteriously.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How does this one look:

Once its done, reboot!

Reboot and your done!

Awesome! Glad to hear it!