5,606,201 Members 33,735 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] easy to install recovery and backup stock rom?

Tip us?

maxgohan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] easy to install recovery and backup stock rom?

hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up this device hopefully tomorrow,
I plan on using it for 4-6 months only

I want to install a clean rom, something along the lines of cyanogenmod but I need to preserve the stock rom as when I return this device to IT they require that it be the same stock rom..

would it be relatively easy to install a recovery on this and backup the stock rom before I wipe it and install an aftermarket rom?

from the limited research I've done, looks like I need to have a specific kernel installed before I can install a root and recovery

I don't mind doing further research but I figured I might as someone that has been through this already...

thanks!

xXFlippyXx
Old
Thanks Meter 28
You need to root your device with a root tool (kingo root, vroot or anything like that), than backup your ta-partition (important for warranty) and after that you can unlock your bootloader for installing custom kernels and firmwares with Faltboot.

Just be sure to play your ta back and relock the phone before you give it back.

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk

maxgohan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I should add that the IT dept won't take an indepth look at the device to see if it was flashed with a different rom

all they care about is the way the phone loads and if it's stock, they will just package it and return it to the carrier/auctions

therefore, I'm mainly concerned with the custom images that show up when installing aftermarket roms..

xXFlippyXx
Old
Thanks Meter 28
As long as your ta-partition is in tact you can use Sony updated service to restore to stock

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk

RISHI RAJ
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Don't go for it loads of faults

Sent from my C6902 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 496
To install Cyanogenmod you have to Unlock Bootlader because that Rom have Custom Kernel. Before Unlock it you have to Root your Device and Backup TA and DRM keys, if you do not do that you will never be able to Relock your Bootlader. You don't have to Backup your Stock Rom, just flash, with Flashtool v.0.9.13, one of this HERE, they are all Stock and use the one for you Model. Remember to do not relock your Bootlader on Custom Roms with Custom Kernels, you will brick your phone. First flash Stock FTF then Relock Bootlader.

To root your phone with Locked Bootlader you have to follow carefully this NUT Method, HERE

or you can use this method with Custom Rom for Locked Bootlader too, Step by Step Guide Page 2, Post #16 HERE

Good Luck.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

maxgohan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
thanks for the help guys,

turns out they were out of stock of the z1, my next option the lg g2 was also out of stock
alas, stuck with a note 3 now :/