5,595,964 Members 31,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Slow/Sporatic Data Speeds. Need Help.

Tip us?

ClowStargazer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Slow/Sporatic Data Speeds. Need Help.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my first post here on XDA. Big fan of the work/knowledge people share here, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I just recently got a seller refurbished GS3 (that came in external flawless condition) that seems to do everything I want except give me the data speeds I pay for. I just upgraded from a GS2 and never had data speeds be this sporatic. I even called T-Mobile to notify them of the issue to make sure it wasn't something on their end. I average less than 350 KB/s (but will drop to 50KB/s or slower sometimes) according to many, many tests using the SpeedTest app by Ookla, though on rare occasions, I have gotten up to my 1.8 MB/s speeds (which is about what I should be seeing for my area) but it doesn't seem to hold for very long.

I'm rooted running CM11 (4.4.2) with baseband UVUEMJC and my IMEI is still visible. My APN seems to be on the appropriate one also. I'm not a complete noob to rooting and rom'ing my droids (or so I'd like to think), but I'm at a complete loss. Rom issue? Did I overlook something simple? I do apologize if I left out any information needed. I think my main concern is that since the phone is refurbished, I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue with the phone itself since I got it off of eBay (from a well trusted seller, but still). Is there anything I can do see the speeds I was saw when I had an S2? I do NOT have home internet, and I basically depend on tethering speeds for everything, so this is a big deal for me. Any help is appreciated.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Change your modem to UVDMD5 or UVUEMJC. Also post what your APN is.

ClowStargazer
Old
(Last edited by ClowStargazer; 26th January 2014 at 11:37 PM.) Reason: Need to add information.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Change your modem to UVDMD5 or UVUEMJC. Also post what your APN is.
Hey there and thanks for replying. I've already flashed the UVUEMJC modem again just to be sure. Maybe I should try the other? Even outside of my house, the speeds still seem very random. My GS2 kept the same speed no matter where in my house or outside I was.

APN is as follows:

fast.t-mobile.com

Sometimes I also try the other one to see if a difference is made, which I haven't seemed to notice.

epc.tmobile.com

Both APNs are using default settings. Also, would I need to downgrade my rom version to get UVDMD5 to work correctly? I randomly tried it with my current CM11 rom and it showed up as "unknown" under baseband.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClowStargazer View Post
Hey there and thanks for replying. I've already flashed the UVUEMJC modem again just to be sure. Maybe I should try the other? Even outside of my house, the speeds still seem very random. My GS2 kept the same speed no matter where in my house or outside I was.

APN is as follows:

fast.t-mobile.com

Sometimes I also try the other one to see if a difference is made, which I haven't seemed to notice.

epc.tmobile.com

Both APNs are using default settings. Also, would I need to downgrade my rom version to get UVDMD5 to work correctly? I randomly tried it with my current CM11 rom and it showed up as "unknown" under baseband.
Use some other modem. Md5 or LJC. If you got unknown baseband then stick to existing one.

Switch to and stick with epc APN.

ClowStargazer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Use some other modem. Md5 or LJC. If you got unknown baseband then stick to existing one.

Switch to and stick with epc APN.
I'd like to try the Md5 Modem but every time I've tried to flash it, it says unknown, so I just have to revert. Any tips on that?

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Given your device was upgraded to 4.3, I'd say your only choice for modem is UVUEMJ4. Please see this thread for details and download link.

ClowStargazer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Given your device was upgraded to 4.3, I'd say your only choice for modem is UVUEMJ4. Please see this thread for details and download link.
Yeah, I looked into it a bit more, and that's about the conclusion I came to as well. I've been doing some troubleshooting with T-Mobile's tech department again today, and am slowing learning it might actually be on their end/something they can do about it. Waiting on another callback and will update when I find out.