Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,103 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Venue7/8] Microsoft Exchange is broken on Android 4.3

Tip us?

deltatux
Old
(Last edited by deltatux; 29th January 2014 at 12:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Default [Venue7/8] Microsoft Exchange is broken on Android 4.3

Hey guys,

After noticing people complaining about Microsoft Exchange on their Dell Venue tablets with Android 4.3, I took a quick look and I can confirm that Microsoft Exchange is broken for the Dell Venue 7/8 with the Android 4.3 update.

Unfortunately, in order to fix this, we MUST gain root and overwrite the APKs with the ones from AOSP. The ones I attached are the stock Email and Exchange APKs from the Android 4.4.2 factory images (from 4.4 but they do work on Android 4.1+). Only thing I've done with the APKs are to deodex them, other than that they're vanilla.

Once we gained root, copy and replace the APKs to /system/app and set the permissions to 0644 (rw-r--r--). Then reboot.

Here's why Exchange doesn't work, as you can see, even though the APKs have been installed, they're blank or the permissions were not set properly and the system can't read the APK. What's weird is that it doesn't trigger any FCs.

Unfortunately, until we gain root or until Dell pushes a fix to this, we're left in the cold. For now as a workaround, if your company/organization's servers support IMAP, use that until a fix or a root method has been published.

EDIT: The tl;dr instructions:
  1. Download EmailGoogle.apk and Exchange2Google.apk from this post
  2. Copy EmailGoogle.apk and Exchange2Google.apk to your /sdcard folder
  3. Remount your /system partition with rw permissions
  4. Delete Email.apk (or EmailGoogle.apk) and Exchange2.apk (or Exchange2Google.apk) from /system
  5. Move the EmailGoogle.apk and Exchange2Google.apk you've downloaded to /system/app
  6. Set both APKs' permission to 0644 (rw-r--r--)
  7. Issue this command in Terminal Emulator: su -c "cd /data/dalvik-cache; rm *; reboot" to clear the Dalvik Cache to remove any potential for FCs.

* For maximum compatibility, remove all email accounts (not incl. Gmail accounts) before proceeding, sometimes FCs are caused by accounts configured by another version of Email.apk.

Cheers,
deltatux
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-27-10-52-40.png
Views:	1247
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2542460  
Attached Files
File Type: apk EmailGoogle.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.80 MB, 71 views)
File Type: apk Exchange2Google.apk - [Click for QR Code] (988.8 KB, 68 views)
Google Nexus 4 16 GB (E960 R11 304K)
Slim ROM 4.4.4 5.10 (KTU84P)
Slim Kernel 3.6 (3.4.92)

ASUS Nexus 7 16 GB 1st Gen
M-Kernel a69 F2FS (3.1.10)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deltatux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jayjr1105
Old
Thanks Meter 30
So I have 4.3 with root, can I do this through ADB or can I do it right from the tablet.

Verizon GS3: Gummy M3 4.4.4
Wife's GS2: 4.1.2 Stock Rooted
Nook Tab: CM10.2 Dead : (
Dell Venue 8: Stock (junk)
iPad 4th gen: Stock

deltatux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
So I have 4.3 with root, can I do this through ADB or can I do it right from the tablet.
You've got root on the Dell tablets with 4.3?

Just get ES File Explorer, enable root access in the app, make /system as rw (so you can read/write). Make sure that you delete Email.apk and Exchange2.apk (or similarly named APKs and its odex files) and then cut and paste the APKs that I've attached to the post, set the permissions to 0644 (rw-r--r--) and you're all good to go.

On the plus side, you get the upgraded Android 4.4 email client which works like the Gmail client .

deltatux
Slim Kernel 3.6 (3.4.92)

jayjr1105
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
You've got root on the Dell tablets with 4.3?

Just get ES File Explorer, enable root access in the app, make /system as rw (so you can read/write). Make sure that you delete Email.apk and Exchange2.apk (or similarly named APKs and its odex files) and then cut and paste the APKs that I've attached to the post, set the permissions to 0644 (rw-r--r--) and you're all good to go.

On the plus side, you get the upgraded Android 4.4 email client which works like the Gmail client .

deltatux
Yeah, I was jcase's test subject. I am possibly the only one with it so far. I'll give that a shot with the exchange apk. Which of the two you listed should I use?

Verizon GS3: Gummy M3 4.4.4
Wife's GS2: 4.1.2 Stock Rooted
Nook Tab: CM10.2 Dead : (
Dell Venue 8: Stock (junk)
iPad 4th gen: Stock

deltatux
Old
(Last edited by deltatux; 28th January 2014 at 11:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
Yeah, I was jcase's test subject. I am possibly the only one with it so far. I'll give that a shot with the exchange apk. Which of the two you listed should I use?
You need both in order to work. They are linked hand-in-hand. You cannot mix and match, doing so will cause FCs or Exchange being disabled.

Since you've got root, it's also good to clear the Dalvik cache by issuing this command in the Terminal Emulator after you've applied the APKs I attached:
Code:
su -c "cd /data/dalvik-cache; rm *; reboot"
This will tell it to run as root, change the current working directory to /data/dalvik-cache, delete everything in folder and then reboot the system.

EDIT: Updated OP for easier instructions.

deltatux
Slim Kernel 3.6 (3.4.92)

The Following User Says Thank You to deltatux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android 4.3, dell, email, exchange, venue