Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root De La Vega on T-Mobile Note 3 question.

Tip us?

Dreamgun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Root De La Vega on T-Mobile Note 3 question.

Hello,

Seeing how future updates to the Note 3 supposedly causes the knox warranty void flag to be tripped for rooting with RDLV... Is it a good idea to root our devices now while we can? As in, rooting before one of these updates will both keep root on the device and have knox warranty flag 0x0 after updating to kitkat?

Dreamgun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Bumping! I suppose it would be easy for Samsung to release an update that triggers knox counter if root is detected... I've never rooted a device though. So my question is do phones keep root when you receive an android update?

krelvinaz
Old
Thanks Meter 546
If you are rooted, you normally don't want an update over the air. There so far have been no updates to the T-Mobile version of the note 3 though.
Phone: TMobile - Samsung SM-900T Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Rooted/Stock - QI Wireless
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012) 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.4.4 w/TWRP Recovery
Droid Like Devices: Several ChromeCasts, Amazon Fire TV (rooted)
Link: ReZoundn EVO 4g LTE and HTC Droid DNA Splash Screen Web Generator

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Well I was wondering about that as well. I keep reading that the Tmo Note 3's bootloader is unlocked. If it is truly unlocked would it not matter to take updates as we should be able to continue to root and put a custom recovery back on the phone? I mean i personally would wait to know if it is safe to take an OTA before actually taking it. I came from the VZW S4 which had that crazy locked down bootloader after the 1st OTA (I luckily never took an OTA and it's on the original FW). I mean I guess they can always lock down a bootloader on any OTA but why would they if it came already unlocked?
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

djtheraven
Old
Thanks Meter 495
All the ota does is download via wifi or data for the update...that is the only difference... it doesn't do any extra checking or anything like that. The only thing that will happen is after the update has been downloaded it will flash your phone and then it will erase root because it will be flashing the phone back to a stock new firmware. You then would have to root your phone again.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
USA T-Mobile Samsung Note 3 SM-N700T
Stock Deodexed NF4
Lean Kernel 3.6
TWRP 2.7.2.0

Misterjunky
Old
(Last edited by Misterjunky; 29th January 2014 at 08:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2,320

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: rooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgun View Post
Bumping! I suppose it would be easy for Samsung to release an update that triggers knox counter if root is detected... I've never rooted a device though. So my question is do phones keep root when you receive an android update?
If you are rooted and you accept an OTA or KIES update or if you Odin flash official
stock firmwareyou will lose root but you can root the phone again if you want.

Fortunately all the cwm/twrp flashable custom roms found here in XDA
all come pre-rooted and if you flash one of those you will not lose root.

Either way you will trigger the KNOX if you flash kernels, custom roms or custom recoveries.

The only two things that KNOX does is it prevents you from downgrading to an older version
of the rom and or firmware as well as the possibility of voiding your warrany if you have one.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

The Following User Says Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]