Well.....that's that.

Search This thread

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Verizon ran a special last night, LG G2 for free. I have been pining over this phone since getting one in my hands in the store, was just impressed. My Rezound has been the longest phone I've owned, but it's time is done. Late Nov 2011 until now.......an impressive stretch. But it's developed some issues recently that make me believe it's a goner. So the new white G2 is ordered and will be picked up tomorrow.

As for my rezound......if anyone is reading this......here's the issues it's developed, mainly after a particularly hard fall about two weeks ago. It was initially fine, but about 3-4 days later, it started boot looping out of nowhere. If I replace the battery it's hit or miss if it does it or not now. If it does, it could be 1-2 times, it could take over 10 minutes to get into the OS. Then in my car last week, I turned on Bluetooth (Chrysler Pacifica, has that Uconnect through the stereo) but it never fully turned on. Then two days ago the wifi quit picking up ANYTHING even though it says it's on. Now I notice the speaker (both headset and external) have gone very crackly.

I'm doubting it's software related, I think it's just been dropped one too many times. I'm going to try to reflash a stock kernel and factory ruu to set it back to stock (it's S-On, unlocked bootloader) and see how things work, but what are your guys opinion on whether or not that's worth my time?

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Verizon ran a special last night, LG G2 for free. I have been pining over this phone since getting one in my hands in the store, was just impressed. My Rezound has been the longest phone I've owned, but it's time is done. Late Nov 2011 until now.......an impressive stretch. But it's developed some issues recently that make me believe it's a goner. So the new white G2 is ordered and will be picked up tomorrow.

As for my rezound......if anyone is reading this......here's the issues it's developed, mainly after a particularly hard fall about two weeks ago. It was initially fine, but about 3-4 days later, it started boot looping out of nowhere. If I replace the battery it's hit or miss if it does it or not now. If it does, it could be 1-2 times, it could take over 10 minutes to get into the OS. Then in my car last week, I turned on Bluetooth (Chrysler Pacifica, has that Uconnect through the stereo) but it never fully turned on. Then two days ago the wifi quit picking up ANYTHING even though it says it's on. Now I notice the speaker (both headset and external) have gone very crackly.

I'm doubting it's software related, I think it's just been dropped one too many times. I'm going to try to reflash a stock kernel and factory ruu to set it back to stock (it's S-On, unlocked bootloader) and see how things work, but what are your guys opinion on whether or not that's worth my time?

Are they discounting the full price on it too? I need to keep my unlimited.

As for the phone, what would you intend to do with it? They aren't worth much to sell, specially if it's damaged, if the screen is good, someone might take it off your hands for parts.

Reactions: a_bug

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN

As for the phone, what would you intend to do with it? They aren't worth much to sell, specially if it's damaged, if the screen is good, someone might take it off your hands for parts.

I don't know yet. I think I've still got my OG Droid hiding somewhere too.

I'm going to wipe it all and do a full factory ruu reflash and see if that doesn't help things out. I want to swap the outer bezel out because I closed my toolbox on it and ended up with a nice dent in the black chrome bezel. The LCD is fine, but I don't know about the digitizer considering the soft keys are really REALLY slow to respond anymore. I was thinking of rebuilding it for the fun and then I don't know. By rebuild I mean new circuit board because I think mine is the root of the issue. Won't know until after a factory reset, but the crackly speakers doesn't give me high hopes.

I really loved this phone. My biggest complaint was always the horrendous battery life. I have three batteries and could easily kill them all in a day with it. Guess I'm not done tinkering with it yet.

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Hmmm.....looks like it may be getting sold for parts. It was bootlooping again tonight after I deactivated it and officially went full time to the G2. So I went into recovery (Amon Ra) and wiped everything, and did a recovery of a backup of Clean Rom that I'd done immediately after in install and setup back in July of 2012. And it's still boot looping. I get into the phone for just a few seconds, the SD card stuff tried to load, but neither Wifi or Bluetooth turn on. My guess is that the last couple of hard drops it took did the mainboard in. Good news is that I just pulled the Zagg InvisibleShield and the screen itself is freaking immaculate.

So I'm thinking one of two things. I could invest about $70 for a mainboard and a new outer bezel, see if that fixes it, and keep it as a spare phone. Or, just sell it as parts. I'm leaning towards a mainboard and bezel and just holding on to it, but I gotta say that I need to know if this is truly a mainboard issue or not.

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Hmmm.....looks like it may be getting sold for parts. It was bootlooping again tonight after I deactivated it and officially went full time to the G2. So I went into recovery (Amon Ra) and wiped everything, and did a recovery of a backup of Clean Rom that I'd done immediately after in install and setup back in July of 2012. And it's still boot looping. I get into the phone for just a few seconds, the SD card stuff tried to load, but neither Wifi or Bluetooth turn on. My guess is that the last couple of hard drops it took did the mainboard in. Good news is that I just pulled the Zagg InvisibleShield and the screen itself is freaking immaculate.

So I'm thinking one of two things. I could invest about $70 for a mainboard and a new outer bezel, see if that fixes it, and keep it as a spare phone. Or, just sell it as parts. I'm leaning towards a mainboard and bezel and just holding on to it, but I gotta say that I need to know if this is truly a mainboard issue or not.

if after a full clean flash or even full factory restore you still have issues id lean towards hardware issues myself...and i hear you on battery life...i too have 3 batteries and the phone will die by the end of the day with it....i sold my daily rez for a different android but i still have my developer rez...which has been lately used for just that

Last edited:

Nappyloxs

May 13, 2011
I also just retire the rebound for similar reasons. I went with the note 3. Just picked it up yesterday. I was going to get the moto x to keep unlimited but was able to keep it with the N3.

I liking it so far. Not reboots or freezes. I think that is what finally got me. For the last few months, I could not get the red to run smoothly on any roms dating back to bean stock and maybe before. Gummy had worked great but for blacks screens that also happen on kitkat. I'm still keeping the red for roms as I am not going to root the N3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
if after a full clean flash or even full factory restore you still have issues id lean towards hardware issues myself...and i hear you on battery life...i too have 3 batteries and the phone will die by the end of the day with it....i sold my daily rez for a different android but i still have my developer rez...which has been lately used for just that

Yeah, the nandroid restore I did was, I think, CleanRom 1.4. But it was a totally clean install as I had installed it, set it up, and backed it up immediately. And it still just boots, gets into the UI, and about 30 seconds later reboots. I can't even get USB Debugging disabled so I can use Fastboot to relock the bootloader and flash an RUU.

I guess once my taxes come back in that I'll get a new logic board since ALL the modules seem to come with it (wifi, BT, etc) and get a new centerboard/outer bezel combo. Cost me about $70, but if I can get it up and running it'll be a nice backup phone. If anything, something to tinker with, lol.

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Holy crap. I left it sit all night, and just turned it on and it booted! However, I try to turn Wifi on, and it just sits at "Turning Wi-Fi on......" so looks like wifi is definitely buggered. As it bluetooth.....same thing.

Just went into Settings and under Wi-Fi is says Error. Yep.....that's fubar.

It's SlimRom 1.6, just checked.

But the good news is that I now have USB Debugging enabled, so I can use Fastboot and relock and put a factory RUU on it. One last try, lol.

JBS976

Jun 19, 2013
Cincinnati
Fastbird, I had bought a used Rezound for my daughter over Christmas and when we tried it the wifi said the same thing as you stated, "turning on wifi". It would stay like that forever. I then went and put on ViperRez rom and then the wifi was fine. Not saying this will work for you as well but just a thought I had when I saw your problem. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Bryon

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Yeah, the nandroid restore I did was, I think, CleanRom 1.4. But it was a totally clean install as I had installed it, set it up, and backed it up immediately. And it still just boots, gets into the UI, and about 30 seconds later reboots. I can't even get USB Debugging disabled so I can use Fastboot to relock the bootloader and flash an RUU.

I guess once my taxes come back in that I'll get a new logic board since ALL the modules seem to come with it (wifi, BT, etc) and get a new centerboard/outer bezel combo. Cost me about $70, but if I can get it up and running it'll be a nice backup phone. If anything, something to tinker with, lol.

you dont need to worry about usb debugging for an ruu....just boot to hboot and select fastboot and plug it in.....in my downgrade upgrade guide it will show all you need to do....the only thing you have to worry about with that is gaining s-off...an ruu wipes and reinstalls android completely...so any setting you set in rom will be wiped anyway....if wifi and all that still fails than it shows that the CleanRom is your issue....although downgrading and using the ruu.exe files require a locked bootloader and to be s-off

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
you dont need to worry about usb debugging for an ruu....just boot to hboot and select fastboot and plug it in.....in my downgrade upgrade guide it will show all you need to do....the only thing you have to worry about with that is gaining s-off...an ruu wipes and reinstalls android completely...so any setting you set in rom will be wiped anyway....if wifi and all that still fails than it shows that the CleanRom is your issue....although downgrading and using the ruu.exe files require a locked bootloader and to be s-off

Now....I thought you had to be S-ON to run the RUU file? That crap-can's that idea then. I'm not S-Off. CleanRom isn't the issue. I ran a later version of it for 1.5 years, and the version I tried the restore from was 100% functional for me too. I don't think I'm going to bother flashing the phone as it sits because of the hardware issues. I'm just going to wait until I get a new logic board and then probably S-Off and play with flashing until I find something I like to sit on as a backup. The Screen is just too pretty for me to part with, lol.

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Now....I thought you had to be S-ON to run the RUU file? That crap-can's that idea then. I'm not S-Off. CleanRom isn't the issue. I ran a later version of it for 1.5 years, and the version I tried the restore from was 100% functional for me too. I don't think I'm going to bother flashing the phone as it sits because of the hardware issues. I'm just going to wait until I get a new logic board and then probably S-Off and play with flashing until I find something I like to sit on as a backup. The Screen is just too pretty for me to part with, lol.

all ruu.exe files and ota.zips require s-off for downgrading..... ie. say your on an older version like 3.14.605.12 you can be s-on and upgrade to higher if im not mistaken...going s-off and redoing the whole phone from first to finish on ruu and ota's would be your last chance for that board without having to spend cash....and no offense you can probably get a used perfectly working rezound alot cheaper than 70 as well...is there any chance you deleted the wrong system files....only factory ruu will it restore original files...some deletions can cause these issues as well

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
The getting stuck turning Wifi on started BEFORE I tried a restore.

Shouldn't be a kernel mismatch because I used the same kernel for the nandroid CleamRom 1.6 and the other version of CleanRom I was running (I believe 1.7).

Only wiped Data, Cache, and dalvik cache. Several times for each.

The phone is acting EXACTLY like it was prior to the nandroid restore which is why I'm so sure it's a hardware issue. And I do mean exactly. 85% of the time after rebooting it boot loops for a random amount of time. Once booted in it's fine, save for Wifi and Bluetooth not working.

I understand I could get a replacement phone for cheaper to slightly more than te $70, but that's not the point. I like to tinker. I learn by doing. Gives me something to do.

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Ok, relocked and trying to upgrade to a higher RUU which by what I read is acceptable. I flashed one of the earliest ICS firmware's and rom's, and the last RUU I could find was about 3 months later so I'm hoping it's good.f

*Edit* RUU took, trying to boot, but it's boot looping like normal. I think it's safe to say hardware is jacked at this point. It's getting into the UI then dying again, just like before.

Last edited:
I also just retire the rebound for similar reasons. I went with the note 3. Just picked it up yesterday. I was going to get the moto x to keep unlimited but was able to keep it with the N3.

How were you able to keep unlimited? My contract is over with my Rezound and I want to purchase a Galaxy S4. The best Verizon would offer me to give up my unlimited data is 6gb of data for $30.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.