Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Newb Stock ROM Question

OP WCM3

29th January 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

56 posts
Hey guys,

So i rooted my Verizon LG G2 a couple months ago and was trying out all the ROMs. I started with Paranoid Android, then AOKP, then Malladus, then Flex ROM, and now i'm back to the Paranoid Android Beta 4. It's been running great for me but I wanted to go back to stock for a little so I've come here with a question. I did a backup of my stock ROM in TWRP and still have it. What would be the process to install a brand new stock rom (completely stock, no bells and whistles)? Can I restore the backup, then go into TWRP and wipe date/cache/etc, then reboot? Should that work? It's probably a super easy question, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
29th January 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #2  
Flag NW Indiana
Thanks Meter: 126

241 posts
More
That will do the trick for you. After restoring the factory backup just doing a factory reset will wipe out all of the bells and whistles you put into your backup. Should boot up just like new. I would boot the phone up first before doing the reset though. Maybe not necessary but I like to be cautious too!
29th January 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really now

That will do the trick for you. After restoring the factory backup just doing a factory reset will wipe out all of the bells and whistles you put into your backup. Should boot up just like new. I would boot the phone up first before doing the reset though. Maybe not necessary but I like to be cautious too!

Thank you! Yep, i'll restore the backup and make sure it boots with no problems. Then boot into recovery and wipe data/etc.

I'll make sure to backup my current rom just in case. Better safe than sorry!
30th January 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:

Ut oh didn't seem to work for me. What did I miss? When i wiped, then rebooted, i was frozen at the LG screen.
30th January 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #5  
Flag NW Indiana

241 posts
More
Are you saying that the stock rom rebooted ok and then you wiped and it won't reboot?
30th January 2014, 06:41 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:

Are you saying that the stock rom rebooted ok and then you wiped and it won't reboot?

Yep, I restored the file and it booted perfectly fine. Then I rebooted to recovery, wiped data, and rebooted system. It got stuck at the LG screen, so I manually entered recovery with the back keys. What did I do wrong?
30th January 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #7  
Flag NW Indiana

241 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3

Yep, I restored the file and it booted perfectly fine. Then I rebooted to recovery, wiped data, and rebooted system. It got stuck at the LG screen, so I manually entered recovery with the back keys. What did I do wrong?

Restore you backup again and this time when you go into TWRP don't wipe data, just swipe the Factory Reset slider. See if that solves the problem for you.
30th January 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:

Restore you backup again and this time when you go into TWRP don't wipe data, just swipe the Factory Reset slider. See if that solves the problem for you.

Will that wipe internal storage too? I usually go into the advanced wipe and wipe everything but internal storage.
30th January 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #9  
Flag NW Indiana

241 posts
More
No it won't, it will dump your apps and clean the caches and reset the settings.
You can do the same thing from inside the rom by going to system settings/backup reset and doing a reset. I don't know if TWRP does a better or more thorough job of it or not but both ways work.
Last edited by Really now; 30th January 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread