XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PMID920 Root/Gapps Guide

Tip us?

Zertman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beutrocks View Post
Alright for the su binary I forgot but I think you have to click unroot reboot then root it again using kingo root. As far as the unstable connection error I have read and it may be some type of bug with kingo. Remember windows 7 and try both sets of drivers.
I was able to get it to root and install gapps! I'm not sure exactly why it worked though. First SuperSU was updated and then I tried Kingo root again but this time I mounted the sd card on the tablet first. Then after it rebooted, I was able to get R/W access to the root folder and transfer all the new files over. After a nail-biteingly long reboot, it had me sing in to google and now I have google play and can sign in to youtube. So I am not sure it worked because of the updated SuperSU or mounting the SD card first the made the difference. But thanks all the same Beutrocks! You're awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zertman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fpsandy93
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default system folder size limit

Has anyone gotten a problem with the amount of space allowed in root/system? Everything up until you have to copy the gapps system folder over worked for me, but when trying to copy over the gapps system folder, explorer says there is not enough room. The space available is a couple MB and obviously the gapps system folder is about 150 MB. Has anyone else had this issue, or know how to readjust the size that root/system allows? I'm new to rooting.

beutrocks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Default The GAPPs I got was 100-120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsandy93 View Post
Has anyone gotten a problem with the amount of space allowed in root/system? Everything up until you have to copy the gapps system folder over worked for me, but when trying to copy over the gapps system folder, explorer says there is not enough room. The space available is a couple MB and obviously the gapps system folder is about 150 MB. Has anyone else had this issue, or know how to readjust the size that root/system allows? I'm new to rooting.
Try to make sure that folderception didn't occur; It happened to me and yes I was mad. You can check by going to /system/apps and if there is another apps folder delete it. Do this for all of the folders that copied wrong for example /system/libs/libs. Then manually recopy all of the files.

hhwemple
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can you clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beutrocks View Post
OK I think I have a fairly foolproof method since I got root and Google Apps.
1. Download this automatic driver installer from adbdriver .com
2. Plug in the tablet via the USB cable (with debugging and unknown sources on) and open the automated installer
3. Select PMID920 and install the drivers
4. Download Kingo root
5. Then transfer an apk of root explorer, supersu, and copy the system folder of Jelly Bean 130812-13 GAPPs onto the tablet
6. Install supersu and root explorer using the built in Explorer app
7. Now go on kingo and click root again.
8. Open SuperSU and install binaries.
9. Open root explorer and allow root then go to / directory and set to R/W
10. This is where I and others got stuck. Go to sdcard and find the system folder you copied and open it
11. Use root explorer's multi-select feature to select the folder in system and copy them to your system folder
12. Reboot and it should work if it did great
13. If not you'll have to do what I did which is check the folders in system and you may notice they look like this /system/app then another app folder in there with the files
14. Manually go into all of the folders and delete any duplicate folder i.e if you open the lib folder and see another lib folder delete it and so on
15. Go to your SD card and use multi-select with select all and carefully copy all the files to the corresponding system directories then verify they all are correctly copied with none in the wrong place or missing (yes this does suck )
16. Reboot and you should be prompted to sign into google. Enjoy
Realize I am not responsible for any screwed up tablets and recommend you do this on Win 7 like I did. Also I cant post links yet.
If you get an error about insecure connection try these (not mine) Attachment 2487210
1. Download driver - to laptop I assume?
2. Open the automated installer - on the laptop or on the tablet?
3. Select PMID920 - From where? It doesn't come up anywhere.
4. Download Kingo root from where and to where? On the laptop or on the tablet?
5. Transfer an apk of root explorer - from where to where
6. Install supersu... - how, where?
7. Go on Kingo - Where? Web, laptop, tablet?
8. Open Supesu - How? Where?

Please clarify exactly how this can be done for us neophytes.

MagisterSum
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Fantastic. Thanks beutrocks. Step 14 is what had me hung up. I am up and running now on my friend's tablet. Awesome!

beutrocks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
You download then install the drivers then pmid920 should show up. If on windows 8 you must boot into unsigned driver mode.