Thread Closed

Reported Stolen G2 which was purchased on Swappa

OP krazie1

29th January 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #21  
Flag Lebanon, MO
Thanks Meter: 41

298 posts
More
Yeah but then come back with another email and account name... He will probably do it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 10

52 posts
Forget about buying phones on Craigslist or Swappa, or even eBay unless you can pay with a credit card. These scammers know all about how to circumvent the "protection" policies. The sites couldn't care less because they make money from the sale. More scammy sales, more revenue, no problem.

On sites like eBay, you can't change your feedback. I don't know about Swappa. Say you got the phone, left good feedback like "fast shipping, item was like description" and you get screwed 2 months later, you can't go back and report what happened.

If you use Paypal, use a credit card to fund the purchase. Paypal defaults to using your bank account. Then if anything happens and Paypal's like "lol he waited 45 days to scam you, we won't do anything", you do a charge-back and get your money back.

------------

Also, I thought Verizon has the whole ESN thing? Don't you have to unregister the phone's ESN from your account and the new buyer can register it on their account? Then the original owner wouldn't have ownership of the phone anymore and shouldn't be able to report things related to the ESN?

Can someone clarify?
Last edited by gummybear00; 29th January 2014 at 05:34 PM.
29th January 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 524

1,438 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfman423

If this guy knowingly sold you a phone he has or had reported stolen then you do have a solid leg to stand on. I would begin with you local law enforcement. IMEI numbers, IP Addresses and subpoenas to devuldge info on the Swappa users account will gain them all the info they need to proceed with filing charges. What's even better is I'm assuming most likely the phone you bought came from out of state so crossing a state line now opens the door for federal statutes. You might be surprised how willing and eager your local law enforcement might be to handle this for you, especially if you have your ducks in a row and necessary info on hand prior to your meeting with them.

I think it sucks that this happened, but if you honestly believe that any local law enforcement office would even do more than just take a report, let alone get subpoenas or even get the feds involved, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you.
29th January 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 22

100 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics

I think it sucks that this happened, but if you honestly believe that any local law enforcement office would even do more than just take a report, let alone get subpoenas or even get the feds involved, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you.

I'm sorry your local law enforcement has made you feel that way. Could it possibly be because you local law enforcement has dealt with enough unappreciative people as you seem to be that they don't care to go the extra mile any longer. I've been an active law enforcement officer for the better part of my life and people such as yourself making comments like that make we wish I would have pursued another career also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surfman423 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #25  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 921

6,885 posts
Donate to Me
More
I would go into a Verizon store and get a manager to work on it. The Phone has been active on your account for 30 days and been fine. You bought it new so how could it be on another account unless it was stolen off a truck... but you'd think it would have been reported earlier.

I would honestly do a Charge Back on your Credit Card and claim the device fraudulent. You may be able to recoop the funds and keep the phone.
29th January 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 524

1,438 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfman423

I'm sorry your local law enforcement has made you feel that way. Could it possibly be because you local law enforcement has dealt with enough unappreciative people as you seem to be that they don't care to go the extra mile any longer. I've been an active law enforcement officer for the better part of my life and people such as yourself making comments like that make we wish I would have pursued another career also.

I AM local law enforcement. 200 people get Apple picked a day. You honestly think that resources are being spent on cellphone recovery? Maybe if you live in the boondocks they'd have the time to invest on this. Where I work, detectives don't chase down cellphones unless they are taken in armed robberies, and that's to get the weapon not the cellphone. Time gets spent on shootings, stabbings, burglaries etc. You lead people here to believe that their local law enforcement is going to go all out over some guy selling them a bad phone, and I'll just tell them how it's really going to go down. And if my earlier post made you wish you chose a different career path then maybe you should have studied harder for the fire fighters exam.
29th January 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #27  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 328

2,694 posts
More
Something just sounds fishy.
Why would you get happy that it works for t-mobile if you don't have tmobile?
Seems like you are not trying hard enough to get your money back. Option 1: The swappa seller is really active and I would spam his listings with comments until he got a hold of me. optiong 2: Get into your old emails or paypal and get his info and call him, leave him a voicemail if he doesn't answer. Do option 2 first.
29th January 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 478

1,790 posts
could be unlucky flook, somebody mistakenly reported your emei.

if you have proof, like box with imei number and receipt call Verizon and tell them. You will have a good case that they unblock your phone. As you have proof you own the phone before whoever reported it stolen.

Sent from my g2 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 22

100 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics

I AM local law enforcement. 200 people get Apple picked a day. You honestly think that resources are being spent on cellphone recovery? Maybe if you live in the boondocks they'd have the time to invest on this. Where I work, detectives don't chase down cellphones unless they are taken in armed robberies, and that's to get the weapon not the cellphone. Time gets spent on shootings, stabbings, burglaries etc. You lead people here to believe that their local law enforcement is going to go all out over some guy selling them a bad phone, and I'll just tell them how it's really going to go down. And if my earlier post made you wish you chose a different career path then maybe you should have studied harder for the fire fighters exam.

Oh local mall cop burn......go check a parking meter douche. I think i studied hard enough for my ATF entrance exam. I lead nobody to believe anything,i simply made helpful suggestions like any law enforcement officer should. I'm sure your a great traffic cop, now go man radar ass clown.
29th January 2014, 09:59 PM   |  #30  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Mega-City One
Thanks Meter: 27,449

15,954 posts
More
Thread Closed, as this is really for Swappa/PayPal not for XDA. OP if you have any more questions, but reading looks like your device is NOW working...Thank you and Closed.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread