Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Current state of AT&T bootloader?

Tip us?

cloakzore
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Current state of AT&T bootloader?

My partner is looking at getting a new phone, and we are looking around at different models. We want one that we will be able to upgrade and flash custom ROMs on for obvious reasons. For the AT&T model, what's the status of the bootloader? I have read that someone had an unlock method a few months ago, but I've also read that new models have an update that breaks that method. Also I have read that there is a safestrap method to install custom ROMs without having to unlock the bootloader.

Can someone summarize the status of the above for me? We would be buying a new one from AT&T. Would we be able to unlock the bootloader, or use safestrap?

Thanks!

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakzore View Post
My partner is looking at getting a new phone, and we are looking around at different models. We want one that we will be able to upgrade and flash custom ROMs on for obvious reasons. For the AT&T model, what's the status of the bootloader? I have read that someone had an unlock method a few months ago, but I've also read that new models have an update that breaks that method. Also I have read that there is a safestrap method to install custom ROMs without having to unlock the bootloader.

Can someone summarize the status of the above for me? We would be buying a new one from AT&T. Would we be able to unlock the bootloader, or use safestrap?

Thanks!
The best place to find the information you want is in the threads you said you read. There is nothing else to tell more than what is already in those threads.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

cloakzore
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719 View Post
The best place to find the information you want is in the threads you said you read. There is nothing else to tell more than what is already in those threads.
Most of them haven't been updated in a month or more, or are dozens of pages deep. If you aren't going to be helpful then just don't comment. I frequent boards for other phones and try to help people with questions instead of condescendingly telling them to go trek through the labyrinth that is the world of Android development.

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakzore View Post
Most of them haven't been updated in a month or more, or are dozens of pages deep. If you aren't going to be helpful then just don't comment. I frequent boards for other phones and try to help people with questions instead of condescendingly telling them to go trek through the labyrinth that is the world of Android development.
OK, continue being rude and lazy. I'll leave you to it.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3060
Here's some help, your partner is probably going to get mk2 firmware. It's bootloader locked and probably always will be. You can use the right version of safe strap and flash a few roms.