Ask a question

No registration required

Current state of AT&T bootloader?

OP cloakzore

29th January 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

41 posts
My partner is looking at getting a new phone, and we are looking around at different models. We want one that we will be able to upgrade and flash custom ROMs on for obvious reasons. For the AT&T model, what's the status of the bootloader? I have read that someone had an unlock method a few months ago, but I've also read that new models have an update that breaks that method. Also I have read that there is a safestrap method to install custom ROMs without having to unlock the bootloader.

Can someone summarize the status of the above for me? We would be buying a new one from AT&T. Would we be able to unlock the bootloader, or use safestrap?

Thanks!
29th January 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 815

2,064 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakzore

My partner is looking at getting a new phone, and we are looking around at different models. We want one that we will be able to upgrade and flash custom ROMs on for obvious reasons. For the AT&T model, what's the status of the bootloader? I have read that someone had an unlock method a few months ago, but I've also read that new models have an update that breaks that method. Also I have read that there is a safestrap method to install custom ROMs without having to unlock the bootloader.

Can someone summarize the status of the above for me? We would be buying a new one from AT&T. Would we be able to unlock the bootloader, or use safestrap?

Thanks!

The best place to find the information you want is in the threads you said you read. There is nothing else to tell more than what is already in those threads.
29th January 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719

The best place to find the information you want is in the threads you said you read. There is nothing else to tell more than what is already in those threads.

Most of them haven't been updated in a month or more, or are dozens of pages deep. If you aren't going to be helpful then just don't comment. I frequent boards for other phones and try to help people with questions instead of condescendingly telling them to go trek through the labyrinth that is the world of Android development.
29th January 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 815

2,064 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakzore

Most of them haven't been updated in a month or more, or are dozens of pages deep. If you aren't going to be helpful then just don't comment. I frequent boards for other phones and try to help people with questions instead of condescendingly telling them to go trek through the labyrinth that is the world of Android development.

OK, continue being rude and lazy. I'll leave you to it.
29th January 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,923

11,225 posts
Here's some help, your partner is probably going to get mk2 firmware. It's bootloader locked and probably always will be. You can use the right version of safe strap and flash a few roms.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread