5,600,053 Members 43,204 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review of Westone W40 in-ear headphones w/lots of pics!!!

Tip us?

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerversair View Post
Thanks vectron, for your detailed experience! So based on your experience, how would you rate the W40 in terms of quantity/slam/kick/punches? (Poor/Below Average/Average/Above Average/Great Quantity)
It all depends on the song you are listening, and I'm heavy into progressive/electro EDM. I think with W40, after my extensive burn in, I would rate it somewhere between Average and Above Average. It becomes more apparent when you compare these to other neutral or mid-centric headphones and also v-shaped bass-y headphones. The bass content is not overpowering or bloated. It has a nice punch/attack and also you can hear a layer of sub-bass texture. It was stronger when I first got it, and that's kind of in line with frozst comment about too much bass, but it settled in after awhile, and got more detailed. So the quantity will not be mind blowing if you enjoy heavy bass. These represent a more balanced sound where you also have closer to above the average bass quantity.

I just did a quick search and found a really good review on amazon from someone who tested W40, UM 30 Pro, SE535, X10/X11, and Monster Copper Turbine, and settled on UM 30 Pro. If I read it correctly, the reviewer found it to have a better bass. I think in your case it would be a better solution for your needs. Check it out yourself: http://www.amazon.com/Westone-UM-Pro...dp/B00FKY3IFA/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aerversair
Old
(Last edited by Aerversair; 8th January 2014 at 03:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
It all depends on the song you are listening, and I'm heavy into progressive/electro EDM. I think with W40, after my extensive burn in, I would rate it somewhere between Average and Above Average. It becomes more apparent when you compare these to other neutral or mid-centric headphones and also v-shaped bass-y headphones. The bass content is not overpowering or bloated. It has a nice punch/attack and also you can hear a layer of sub-bass texture. It was stronger when I first got it, and that's kind of in line with frozst comment about too much bass, but it settled in after awhile, and got more detailed. So the quantity will not be mind blowing if you enjoy heavy bass. These represent a more balanced sound where you also have closer to above the average bass quantity.

I just did a quick search and found a really good review on amazon from someone who tested W40, UM 30 Pro, SE535, X10/X11, and Monster Copper Turbine, and settled on UM 30 Pro. If I read it correctly, the reviewer found it to have a better bass. I think in your case it would be a better solution for your needs. Check it out yourself: http://www.amazon.com/Westone-UM-Pro...dp/B00FKY3IFA/
I see! Well right now, a W40 (sealed) in the box is seating right next to me waiting to be opened, but if i open it, i won't be able to do a return since it was not purchase through amazon. Thanks for the feedback! If you or anyone else have more to add about the bass, please do share your experience It will help me alot in deciding whether to go for the um 30 pro or not, the only thing i do not like a bout the um 30 pro is the lack of soundstage which makes you feel as if you're stuck in a room with the band. Is soundstage that important? I'm not sure..

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1729
I just wrote a review about FiiO RC-SE1 replacement cables for W40, which you guys might enjoy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/657641/make...#post_10217616
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]