Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,709 Members 46,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA Update Failing on Rooted xt926

Tip us?

filmfanatic09
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default OTA Update Failing on Rooted xt926

Hi everyone, new guy here.

I'm rooted and currently running 9.18.79 with Verizon. I'm trying to install the 9.18.94 OTA update, but it fails everytime. After I select "Install Now" it reboots and starts to install, but then I get the Android robot on its back with the red triangle. The phone then reboots again and I get a message that says the software update failed. What's the secret to updating when rooted (while also making sure to still have root access afterward)?

Thanks...

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfanatic09 View Post
Hi everyone, new guy here.

I'm rooted and currently running 9.18.79 with Verizon. I'm trying to install the 9.18.94 OTA update, but it fails everytime. After I select "Install Now" it reboots and starts to install, but then I get the Android robot on its back with the red triangle. The phone then reboots again and I get a message that says the software update failed. What's the secret to updating when rooted (while also making sure to still have root access afterward)?

Thanks...
You cannot be rooted or you must hide root w/ voodoo or super su. Also you must use stock recovery.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 606
the update will not actually fail if you are rooted, although it may report failing.
if it actually fails, you can obviously see it doesnt go through the process, then there is some other factor causing it to fail.

some things that would cause it to fail all together are: non stock recovery, freezing any bloat, removing any bloat, pretty much any modifications to the stock software other than rooting will cause it to fail.

once you have any system deficiencies fixed, use voodoo from the market to protect root and temp unroot before taking the update.

if you cant figure out what you did to the system to fix it, you may want to re-flash using the proper utility for your current system, re-root, protect and temp unroot through voodoo, then try the update again.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filmfanatic09
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies.

The primary reason I rooted in the first place was to remove a ton of unwanted bloatware, so at this point it's not even close to resembling the stock software. What are my options? Do I really have to re-install everything I deleted, or is it possible to flash the whole system back to stock?

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfanatic09 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The primary reason I rooted in the first place was to remove a ton of unwanted bloatware, so at this point it's not even close to resembling the stock software. What are my options? Do I really have to re-install everything I deleted, or is it possible to flash the whole system back to stock?
you can flash the hole system using this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2474393 get the 1.33 version to match what you are on or the 1.34 to go right to the version you are trying to upgrade to. either is fine.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here