ali_bobo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default V500 CM11 ROM Display Size

Hi All

I am new here, recently rooted and installed the CM11 ROM

So far so good. Just wondering however.

The Icons and overall feel of the OS seems very large to me, and in some icons even pixalated (Instagram app)

Is this normal?

Also when I rotate the tab into landscape the text from the apps are cut off, its like it doesnt fit onto the page.

Do i need to install a launcher such as Apex?or GPE?

Thanks

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_bobo View Post
Hi All

I am new here, recently rooted and installed the CM11 ROM

So far so good. Just wondering however.

The Icons and overall feel of the OS seems very large to me, and in some icons even pixalated (Instagram app)

Is this normal?

Also when I rotate the tab into landscape the text from the apps are cut off, its like it doesnt fit onto the page.

Do i need to install a launcher such as Apex?or GPE?

Thanks
hi, when you rotate into landscape the letters are indeed cut off, this is a bug of cyanogen and i believe that they ll fix it sometime. If you want smaller icons long press on desktop screen, select settings and change the number of rows and columns. If you select bigger number the icons will become smaller and i managed to see the whole text of icons with a particular number of rows and columns.
The Following User Says Thank You to katsika For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ali_bobo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
hi, when you rotate into landscape the letters are indeed cut off, this is a bug of cyanogen and i believe that they ll fix it sometime. If you want smaller icons long press on desktop screen, select settings and change the number of rows and columns. If you select bigger number the icons will become smaller and i managed to see the whole text of icons with a particular number of rows and columns.
Thanks for your help
Do you mind me asking which row and columns you have?

I installed KK launcher just to see if there would be a difference.
And there is a massive difference. The icons are much more crisp and smooth and smaller.

Not sure if its just my ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ali_bobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Thanks for your help
Do you mind me asking which row and columns you have?

I installed KK launcher just to see if there would be a difference.
And there is a massive difference. The icons are much more crisp and smooth and smaller.

Not sure if its just my ROM.
yeah I forgot to tell you to install a different launcher, cyanogen launcher is bugged, it's not just your rom. I use 7 rows and 6 columns and I use it mostly on portrait mode, if I put 8 rows then the icons look really messed up
The Following User Says Thank You to katsika For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ali_bobo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsika View Post
yeah I forgot to tell you to install a different launcher, cyanogen launcher is bugged, it's not just your rom. I use 7 rows and 6 columns and I use it mostly on portrait mode, if I put 8 rows then the icons look really messed up
Great thanks for this!

Any recommendations on a good Launcher?

Do I have to remove the current CM11 launcher or do they both run at the same time?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to ali_bobo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Great thanks for this!

Any recommendations on a good Launcher?

Do I have to remove the current CM11 launcher or do they both run at the same time?

Cheers
if you install a custom launcher it will replace the stock, no need to uninstall cyanogens launcher. Unfortunately i havent found much time to experiment with the launchers, although i want sometime to change cyanogen's launcher. The most popular launchers by far are go launcher ex and nova launcher. I want to try someday next launcher 3d, it's created from the development team of go launcher ex and it has some really cool 3d effects.

k's
Old
Thanks Meter 1
if you are more technically inclined try changing ro.sf.lcd_density= in your build.prop to something lower like 270, I believe it's set at 320 or something like that ala nexus.
The Following User Says Thank You to k's For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EdenGottlieb
Old
Thanks Meter 54
in setting you can choose between launcher3 and the Google Experince Launcher (It's simply called launcher). the Google Experience Launcher works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdenGottlieb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

katsika
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I installed nova launcher and the desktop looks way much better than in cyanogen's launcher. Nova launcher is a simple launcher though, with few options available for customise. But it works really great and it does the job.