Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,597 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone tried SafeRoot? Thinking of getting a mini but not w/o root.

Tip us?

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 2nd March 2014 at 03:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413
Default Anyone tried SafeRoot? Thinking of getting a mini but not w/o root.

Is there root?
On 4.2 yes.
Btw has anyone tried saferoot? I am NOT asking if it works!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=14

Any users here?
This is the place for now.
Also by the time I get one it will be on 4.4.

I know there is a Rzr general thread but no goodies. It is a ghost town.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

Teksu
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
Is there root?
Any users here?
I know there is a Rzr general thread but no goodies.
You are in the right place, the mini, ultra, and maxx are basically the same device aside from their battery and screen size.

You can root if you are on 4.2.2. If you took the 4.4 update than you are SOL for now.

There is a nice guide on how to do everything here, Just remember to grab the fxz files for your device, not the ultra/maxx.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616104
The Following User Says Thank You to Teksu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 122
I did the same as you, went from RAZR M to Mini.
Still going to hold onto my M to play with, but Mini is my primary now.

joshuamink
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question droid mini

i just got the phone as well. or i should say it will be here today. does anyone know can i root using 4.2.2 use voodoo to save the root then use fastboot to upgrade to 4.4 from the SBF file?

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Nope. Voodoo does not work with Android 4.3 and newer.
You will need to follow the previously mentioned guide to the letter. One mistake can cost you root until someone finds a 4.4 exploit.

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 7th February 2014 at 02:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413
I am still on my old M'ini. Just considering. But may wait for root on kk. Aren't they shipping minis with kk now?
Than the lack of sd card? Is there enough memory for backups @ 3 gb each?
Is otg working for everybody & does it stand in for a external sd well?
Why did Google make such an iphonish move in the first place?

My Moto X / Ultra links

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

GnatGoSplat
Old
(Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 7th February 2014 at 03:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 122
It has 11GB total available storage. I have 5.83GB free on mine, but I do have TomTom and 738MB worth of videos that take up space. I have 1.28GB worth of apps installed. I haven't found the lack of SD card to be a problem (yet). If you wanted to keep your entire music library on the phone, that could be a problem.
I haven't tried OTG, but an external drive would definitely be a good place to keep backups. Now that you mention it, I might order one to try.
I don't know why they dumped the MicroSD card. Maybe planned obsolescence or they just didn't see the point since these devices are practically disposable since most people only keep a smartphone 2yrs tops before wanting to upgrade again. They started to do the same with Nexus devices too.

Oh yeah, and compared to the M, the battery life is a lot worse. I barely get 2-days of light use and I have Wifi set to turn off when the phone is sleeping and I also keep mobile data off when I'm not using it. I tried leaving Wifi on in its default state which is "Always On" and only got 1-1/2 days out of it. On the other hand, I don't notice the bad battery life so much now that I bought a wireless charging pad for $10 which works well with the Mini. I keep it at work and I just set the phone down on the wireless charging pad when I'm at my desk.
The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aviwdoowks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuamink View Post
i just got the phone as well. or i should say it will be here today. does anyone know can i root using 4.2.2 use voodoo to save the root then use fastboot to upgrade to 4.4 from the SBF file?
4,2 is last build for voodoo.
Rzr has an xml.
So everyone's mini has come w/ rootable builds?

My Moto X / Ultra links

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Just thought I'd update. Got an OTG cable and it works with KitKat. It works with a mouse and external flash drive, but there is no native support. You have to install the app StickMount (which requires root), then it will work. It mounts USB drive to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1. As far as I can tell, FAT and FAT32 are read/write, exFAT and NTFS are read-only.

It's pretty nice for backup and restore using Titanium without using internal storage space.

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 16th February 2014 at 07:15 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
Just thought I'd update. Got an OTG cable and it works with KitKat. It works with a mouse and external flash drive, but there is no native support. You have to install the app StickMount (which requires root), then it will work. It mounts USB drive to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1. As far as I can tell, FAT and FAT32 are read/write, exFAT and NTFS are read-only.

It's pretty nice for backup and restore using Titanium without using internal storage space.
Great. What about builds that come on the phone? Rootable?

My Moto X / Ultra links