Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,499 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy Note (n8010) - Ubuntu is running but only black screen on device

Tip us?

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Samsung Galaxy Note (n8010) - Ubuntu is running but only black screen on device

I followed the instructions in this thread and successfully installed Ubuntu onto my n8010 (I used the n8013.zip and removed the assert as recommended). I cannot post this question in that thread as I am a new user so don't have enough privileges. I then followed the instructions on the wiki to fix the reboot problem.

Using "adb shell" from my OS X terminal I can access and use Ubuntu through the shell.

On the device itself however, nothing is shown after the initial Samsung Note logo. The screen is on because I can see that it is slightly backlit, but other than that it is just black.

I can see many other posts on these forums about similar issues, however none of them seemed to confirm that Ubuntu was working (via adb) and none of them seemed to be resolved either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be wrong, or why the Ubuntu desktop is not showing up?

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Also, can someone please post a link to this thread in here so that mamenyaka might see it and offer any suggestions?

mamenyaka
Old
Thanks Meter 332

DONATE TO ME
The first boot should be without problems, you may need to wait a little more than usual (max 5 mins). If Ubuntu Touch doesn't come up, then it means, that the ubuntu image is faulty, try an older one.
Soon there will be an entirely new build (if it succeeds), which should fix many of our problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to mamenyaka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamenyaka View Post
The first boot should be without problems, you may need to wait a little more than usual (max 5 mins). If Ubuntu Touch doesn't come up, then it means, that the ubuntu image is faulty, try an older one.
Soon there will be an entirely new build (if it succeeds), which should fix many of our problems.
Thanks, I will try an older Ubuntu image and see how it goes. Do I need to factory reset and flash the device image again first, or can I just flash the different Ubuntu image?

Once again, thank you for your help.

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I have now tried three different ubuntu images:
  • 20140129 (the first one I had tried)

All of them seem to give the same result - a black screen no matter how long I wait, but Ubuntu is running which I can confirm through "adb shell"

Is there a particular build that is know to work? If not I guess I will have to wait for a new release.

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Also just tried wiping /data then installing using the following:

Code:
phablet-flash community --device n8013
It gave me the same result: boots to a black screen, but Ubuntu is actually running as confirmed through adb shell.

jet86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I was able to get the latest Saucy preview image installed on a GT-P7510 fairly easily, so I might try using that image on the N8010 too when I get more time. I would still prefer to have Trusty if possible, but I may have to make do with Saucy for now.