[Q] D-INC Won't Boot

Tip us?

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Question [Q] D-INC Won't Boot

Hi All,
I searched for this, and didn't see anything, so please forgive me if this has been covered before...

My son has an Incredible that was updated to Evervolv last month (I'd tell you the exact build, but...). The day before yesteday, it crashed with the error message saying process android.phone has stopped. The screen was unresponsive at that point, and the phone wouldn't shutdown by holding the power button down (tried holding it for over a minute, and nothing...). I pulled the battery and tried to restart the phone. Everything seemed to be booting normal, but he'd immediately get either the "process.android.phone has stopped" or "process.android.media has stopped" (or both in succession), and the phone would then freeze. Pulled the battery again and booted into recovery (CM ver. 5.0.2.0) to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, but am getting errors there as well:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I did try to wipe the cache and Dalvik cache, and it seemed to do that OK (at least, doing so didn't throw any other errors), but that didn't fix the bootloop problem. Next, tried to do a factory reset from recovery. Got the following results:

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Formatting /datadata...
E:format_volume: no MID partition "datadata"
Formatting /sd-ext...
No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext. (No problem -- no SD card installed)
Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure...
Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping format...
Data wipe complete.

Rebooted, and still stuck in bootloop...

So, any ideas on what I should try next to get this phone up and running again? I haven't run into this much trouble with this phone before.

Thanks, and Saludos!
SPC

Vernox701
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcagigas View Post
Hi All,
I searched for this, and didn't see anything, so please forgive me if this has been covered before...

My son has an Incredible that was updated to Evervolv last month (I'd tell you the exact build, but...). The day before yesteday, it crashed with the error message saying process android.phone has stopped. The screen was unresponsive at that point, and the phone wouldn't shutdown by holding the power button down (tried holding it for over a minute, and nothing...). I pulled the battery and tried to restart the phone. Everything seemed to be booting normal, but he'd immediately get either the "process.android.phone has stopped" or "process.android.media has stopped" (or both in succession), and the phone would then freeze. Pulled the battery again and booted into recovery (CM ver. 5.0.2.0) to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, but am getting errors there as well:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I did try to wipe the cache and Dalvik cache, and it seemed to do that OK (at least, doing so didn't throw any other errors), but that didn't fix the bootloop problem. Next, tried to do a factory reset from recovery. Got the following results:

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Formatting /datadata...
E:format_volume: no MID partition "datadata"
Formatting /sd-ext...
No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext. (No problem -- no SD card installed)
Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure...
Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping format...
Data wipe complete.

Rebooted, and still stuck in bootloop...

So, any ideas on what I should try next to get this phone up and running again? I haven't run into this much trouble with this phone before.

Thanks, and Saludos!
SPC
probably need to charge it at this point. Format data (factory reset)
wipe cache and then dalvik and flash a different rom
Droid Incredible
....::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::....
ROM: [CM_10.1_byTiny4579]
C.W.M: 5.0.2.0

DEll STREAK_7
ROM:Android 3.22(514)
C.W.M: 6.0.1.2
The Following User Says Thank You to Vernox701 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Will try this evening and report back...

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernox701 View Post
probably need to charge it at this point. Format data (factory reset)
wipe cache and then dalvik and flash a different rom
Ehh... No luck. Tried copying another ROM to an external sd card, and CWM won't mount the external SD card. Tried renaming the ROM UPDATE.ZIP and got this error:

Code:
E:unknown volume for path [SDCARD:update.zip]
E:can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted.
any other ideas, or is this one a goner?

PonsAsinorem
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1748

DONATE TO ME
I'd try changing to the latest TWRP. The newer CWM never played well with my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PonsAsinorem For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Will try that this evening. Need to configure ADB on my laptop, though, since I can't seem to mount emmc or external sd card right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Vernox701
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Will try that this evening. Need to configure ADB on my laptop, though, since I can't seem to mount emmc or external sd card right now.

Thanks for the advice.
Its all a guess on my end maybe your sd card is failing.... have you tried a different sd card make sure its fat32
Droid Incredible
....::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::....
ROM: [CM_10.1_byTiny4579]
C.W.M: 5.0.2.0

DEll STREAK_7
ROM:Android 3.22(514)
C.W.M: 6.0.1.2

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernox701 View Post
Its all a guess on my end maybe your sd card is failing.... have you tried a different sd card make sure its fat32
Yep, tried two other SD cards with no luck. Can't get the phone to mount either of them, though they were freshly formatted. Also can't get ADB to see this phone to push anything to it. Gonna retire it, I guess...

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

Saludos,
spc

zachf714
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:
Yep, tried two other SD cards with no luck. Can't get the phone to mount either of them, though they were freshly formatted. Also can't get ADB to see this phone to push anything to it. Gonna retire it, I guess...

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

Saludos,
spc
I have had this happen before, RUU the phone and it should fix it
OMNI-ROM Co-Maintainer for TF-101

Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII Unlocked Bootloader Running my CM-11.0 Custom Builds

Droid Incredible AMOLED Unlocked Bootloader S-OFF Running My CM-11.0 Builds

Asus Transformer B60 with B80 Dock Running Omni 4.4

spcagigas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachf714 View Post
I have had this happen before, RUU the phone and it should fix it
Thanks. I've decided to retire this phone -- the failure to boot was really the last straw for it.

Tags
bootloop