XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does overheating kill my S4 (I9500)

Tip us?

megamanDJ
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezIn View Post
Oh the is there any apps out there that tells you the temp if my phone. Something that is easy to set up?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

They have quite a few apps out there for monitoring temps and whatnot. I personally use Android Tuner for everything I monitor. As a huge plus, this app is one of the most versatile apps (especially if rooted) I've come across and have had for a long time. Its good for adjusting or tuning down anything that may cause overheating as well as view summaries of the culprits

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAndroid12 View Post
Not a little bit hot but perheps if it reaches 85 degrees+ all the time. But even in doing so it will still (from my experience) last longer that you'd ever keep this phone for.
I agree. You don't hear too often about someone's phone overheating to the point of failure. I've seen one phone that would get so hot you almost couldn't hold it in your hand, and had a habit of doing that but was ultimately broken months later by a shopping cart.

Still a decent monitoring app (among dozens on the market) can help you monitor temps and pinpoint when, where, and what is causing problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to megamanDJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Thank you the app works. Is there anyway to drop the temperature as low as you can? Like 26 C? I disabled my Google account stuff and sync and removed the sim card because I use this phone as a gaming device. When I play a few rounds of subway surfers it already gets to medium warm and for 3D games it gets warmer more faster.

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Is 51 C - 56 C harm the device?

megamanDJ
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Is 51 C - 56 C harm the device?

I would say you are safe in that temp range. Its when you get 80 C and above that that's causing damage. Also are these temps from the battery or the CPU? The CPU can and will get to 60 C temps at times which is normal.

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
CPU I played the game six guns for almost an hour and it didn't go over 65 C and I think I totally screwed up my ext SDcard

megamanDJ
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Thank you the app works. Is there anyway to drop the temperature as low as you can? Like 26 C? I disabled my Google account stuff and sync and removed the sim card because I use this phone as a gaming device. When I play a few rounds of subway surfers it already gets to medium warm and for 3D games it gets warmer more faster.

If you are having heating problems while playing 3D games alone then you might want to try experimenting with using different GPU settings. You can try tuning down the frequency. It may or may not help with temp being its only a frequency setting. Try also using the app "Greenify" to put as many of the remaining apps that you don't absolutely need running into hibernation. Greenify is a lot more efficient when it comes to keeping apps from using resources.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
How to adjust the GPU frequency settings? Does this affect the quality of the game after its adjusted? But I do not think adjusting the GPU frequency settings will work. The overheating problem is caused by the CPU. May try Greenify app.

megamanDJ
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
How to adjust the GPU frequency settings? Does this affect the quality of the game after its adjusted? But I do not think adjusting the GPU frequency settings will work. The overheating problem is caused by the CPU. May try Greenify app.

If your GPU is capable of adjusting the frequency then it will show you in the Android Tuner app next to the CPU settings, but you're right it wont help with overheating. You can set your CPU governor to "powersaver" and underclock by sliding the max frequency setting down one step at a time until you notice a difference in temp. Greenify is a huge help mainly with battery saving which in turn stops a lot of unnecessary CPU draw.

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Does under clocking CPU will cause large 3S games crash? Hope it doesnt

FreezIn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Bad idea. When I change it to power save it makes every sluggish and laggy even I turn one step down the CPU thing its sluggish