Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT can detect unauthorized tethering. Forcing customers onto capped tethering plans

Tip us?

EdenGottlieb
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G View Post
FWIW i'm at 110gb this cycle (8 days left) which is rather typical of my usage and haven't heard a peep. I use a Motorola Atrix running CM as a mobile hotspot, rather than my G Note 3, however.

110 GB?! What are you doing with your phone? Streaming 4K video 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wudien
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G View Post
FWIW i'm at 110gb this cycle (8 days left) which is rather typical of my usage and haven't heard a peep. I use a Motorola Atrix running CM as a mobile hotspot, rather than my G Note 3, however.
I have these phones. Looks like I'll be flashing back to gingerbread! Woo! No more battery drain from experimental jelly bean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
If my post was helpful, hit thanks!

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 392

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushin View Post
haha good man

I'd stick to the atrix unless you know you can spoof/vpn the traffic (or what ever preventative measures). Just frustrating cause i dont even abuse my tether... like 3 gigs a month on an unlimited plan (and using unauthorized tethering)... they should pay me for NOT abusing it... lol.

Needless to say... now there is nothing "keeping" me at ATT once my contract is up... since i dont have my unlimited plan anymore! Hopefully in next year or so the other carriers (tmobile/sprint) will be just as good at half the price... i dont mind an ocassional dropped call/spotty coverage if it means i'm paying half

Edit: Also made this post so others will know... so they don't "lose" unlimited plan and get screwed if they are new to the scene
T mobile will pay your early termination fees if you want out of your contract.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch...ation-fee.html

Cojam1
Old
Thanks Meter 35
To the Op, are you 100% certain that this is you very FIRST time being contacted by AT&T? I ask ask you because along with myself and several of my former GS2 users we received messages from AT&T telling us that they saw that we were tethering and told us to stop or be forced to a tethering plan.So I chose to stop and not lose my unlimited plan. We all were on unlimited and I'm still on unlimited on my Note 3.

gordec
Old
Thanks Meter 234
DA_G what APN are you using on your atrix. May worth a try for those of us running SS ROMs and can change APN.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Device: AT&T Galaxy Note III (Knoxraid 5.0)

AT&T Galaxy Note root, recovery, and roms reference thread.

jigu005
Old
Thanks Meter 1
[QUOTE=440bro;49822421]T mobile will pay your early termination fees if you want out of your contract.

Only works if you give up your current phone and buy t mobile ones for a monthly charge.

missingtext
Old
(Last edited by missingtext; 30th January 2014 at 08:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs down I must have been a lucky one! BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME!

Quote:
I posted this on reddit aswell... I usually follow xda/reddit (android) closely and haven't heard of this so i thought i would warn others.

Well i had a feeling this day would finally come, a frustratingly sad day. This is my story so i don't know how prevalent it may be. I am running a galaxy note 3. I am part of the originally "unlimited data plan" that i have been grandfathering the past few years. My galaxy note 3 is rooted and using a SafeStrap based custom rom. Ofcourse it has all the nice tweaks/xposed modules that i have learn to love in the android community. Ofcourse it enables tethering.

I don't use tethering often (mainly when i dont have Wifi, or if in public to avoid crappy wifi coverage). So i mainly use 1-2 gb a month of random google music tethering/other misc downloads updates... so i am NOT being an excessive user. So my total usage is between 2.5-3 gigs. I was contacted from AT&T yesterday (by text 2-3 days ago, phone call yesterday). They gave an ultimatum. They called out explicitly that i was using unauthorized tether (not using a large amount of data as you can see).

The ultimatum was:

Your service is been cancelled at the end of the month.
OR

Moving to the "Family Plan" shared/capped data plan. They also required tethering to be added on to the plan since i was using it.

I was warned about 3 times about tethering with my phone. I too am an original unlimited data plan grandfathered in at $30 Bucks a MONTH! MUHAHAHA! The 1st time it happened it said on my bill "TETHERWARN" $0.00
Kind of scared me a bit but I continued to do it anyway and received 2 more warnings this way. I guess because it was only for a couple MB of data here and there. Some months nothing and other months just a tiny bit because I was scared at that point. Didn't want to lose my unlimited plan.
Unfortunately I found out we really don't have TRUE unlimited data anyway. After you go over 4.5GB used for the month you will receive a text message saying after 5GB you will be throttled big time!!! I was so SHOCKED by this! I can't believe I'm really only getting 5GB of data when it's supposed to be unlimited. I guess they changed everything after the family share crap started.

Figured I'd share this if anyone still has the grandfathered "Unlimited Data" plan. THEY ARE LIARS!

PS. I still tether THOUGH!! I have a windows surface tablet and use PDA NET for desktop and the FOXFI app in the play store! I can ONLY tether using bluetooth or USB though because the WiFi tether is disabled in settings now, which doesn't really bother me because it is fast enough to browse the web or even play World of Warcraft with the bluetooth tether option. It is actually decently fast with USB tether also. HERE'S THE BEST PART! PDA NET SCRUBS all PC data from the packets sent and received! There is an advanced addon feature you can download from FOXFI that does this for you. The free version shuts off at 50MB of data transferred and you just have to click the checkbox off and back on to get it to reconnect for an addition 50MB. OR, you can pay the 7 or 8 bucks for the full version and never be interrupted. I'm about to buy it because I haven't received any TETHER WARNS from att since I started using PDA NET! I think it does the scrubbing of PC data from the packets very well. I drive for a living so tethering for me is mandatory on my windows tablet. So if you are about to lose your data plan JUST BE CAREFUL and do your research! There is always a way with computers! Hoped this helps someone...Thanks for reading and sorry this is so LONGGGGGGGG!
The Following User Says Thank You to missingtext For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wudien
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtext View Post

I still tether THOUGH!! I have a windows surface tablet and use PDA NET for desktop and the FOXFI app in the play store! PDA NET SCRUBS all PC data from the packets sent and received! There is an advanced addon feature you can download from FOXFI that does this for you. The free version shuts off at 50MB of data transferred and you just have to click the checkbox off and back on to get it to reconnect for an addition 50MB. OR, you can pay the 7 or 8 bucks for the full version and never be interrupted.
This was what I've been looking for! Thank you.

I also have a grandfathered data plan, and get throttled after ~4.5GB of use. I've received several warnings about tethering but thankfully my family plan wasnt botched - I've just had to stop tethering... Until Now! PDA Net FTW.

Question!

If you tether from one ATT phone to another ATT phone or tablet (but not ATT), can they tell? (without having to use PDA NET)
If my post was helpful, hit thanks!

theorioles33
Old
Thanks Meter 656
Quote:
I posted this on reddit aswell... I usually follow xda/reddit (android) closely and haven't heard of this so i thought i would warn others.

Well i had a feeling this day would finally come, a frustratingly sad day. This is my story so i don't know how prevalent it may be. I am running a galaxy note 3. I am part of the originally "unlimited data plan" that i have been grandfathering the past few years. My galaxy note 3 is rooted and using a SafeStrap based custom rom. Ofcourse it has all the nice tweaks/xposed modules that i have learn to love in the android community. Ofcourse it enables tethering.

I don't use tethering often (mainly when i dont have Wifi, or if in public to avoid crappy wifi coverage). So i mainly use 1-2 gb a month of random google music tethering/other misc downloads updates... so i am NOT being an excessive user. So my total usage is between 2.5-3 gigs. I was contacted from AT&T yesterday (by text 2-3 days ago, phone call yesterday). They gave an ultimatum. They called out explicitly that i was using unauthorized tether (not using a large amount of data as you can see).

The ultimatum was:

Your service is been cancelled at the end of the month.
OR

Moving to the "Family Plan" shared/capped data plan. They also required tethering to be added on to the plan since i was using it.
I received and email like that a couple of years ago except they told me to stop or else. Needless to say, I stopped.

missingtext
Old
Thanks Meter 1
That is a good question. I really don't know for certain because I no longer use my nexus 7 anymore since I got my windows surface. I do believe PDA Net has an android version which I would assume does the same thing as my desktop version. But then if you consider it's a mobile device with no PC info to scrub(I think that was your question) it might just look like it's your actual phone using that data. Really is a good question that I cannot answer with certainty. Sorry, I can't help with that one. :what::what::what::what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app