5,596,235 Members 34,597 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stay in gingerbread or move on?

Tip us?

Berend de Boer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Stay in gingerbread or move on?

Hi All,

When I recently got a P500 I installed GingerBlurb V5 as that seemed to me the most complete ROM. Basically I need everything working (my network is 3G only, no 2G, need bluetooth working for car). With this ROM everything worked. Have made some enhancements to it to update where it didn't include the latest, and installed the v2.5.8-ta-vsyncOff-20121129 kernel (as this had the latest long term kenel compiled in 2.6.35.14). Everything works very smoothly.

But I wonder if I should move on from Gingerbread. I've read some opinions here that people believe the P500 is really a gingerbread device, and going beyond that isn't conducive for functionality and battery life.

So what do you guys think? If there is no Android 4.x ROM that has basically everything working the point is moot obviously. If there is, is there still any advantage on staying with Gingerbread?

Syd_M
Old
Thanks Meter 157
ICS is about as stable as GB these days, the main difference being the battery life. ICS drains the battery faster than GB, especially with wifi or mobile data on. JB and higher, the battery life drops even further -- an hour with mobile data on, and I lose 10-15% or more battery. JB also has the occasional bug. The latest KitKat test builds seem more stable than JB, imho, but again, battery (though it seems to do better than JB).

chris.bpc54
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Depends what you use your phone for. If you use it for calls & messaging, and not to much for games and media, KitKat is not that bad. I leave my phone to charge every night although the batter drops to about 40% during the day. So 60% lasts about 15 hours for me in normal usage.

t2nekski12
Old
Thanks Meter 4
It depends on you, sometimes you may want the feel of GB much than after when you flash new roms. As the above person says.. some rom may be as stable as that of GB and can be used as daily driver. But in the end of the day you will still be the one to decide on whether you'll move on or not. If you really are satisfied with GB then stay at it.. Cheers.

chris.bpc54
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The best thing you can do is try to find the most stable and smooth ROM for each of GB, ICS, JB and KK and test them all. Keep the one that best suits your needs. Good luck!

ayrus02
Old
Thanks Meter 10
After more than a year trying every ROM released on XDA for my P500, I've found that P500 native ROM are in GB, and in GB the device will show it's full potential, but beside that, I've also found that the second most stable ROM are ICS. For JB and KK I thinks it's still in test and development phaze.

The ICS ROM I used:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1833218
The Following User Says Thank You to ayrus02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]