XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sprint S4 4.3 MK2 Root

Tip us?

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotablunt View Post
So if I use goo manager to install twrp I won't trip knox? How can I install philz recovery and then sacs rom without tripping know?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
You can not install a custom recovery without tripping the knox warranty flag. That is what trips the flag in the first place not rooting. If you use safe root to root your phone the knox warranty flag is not tripped because it doesn't change recovery. If you use cf autoroot, knox is tripped because cf autoroot loads a modded stock recovery to achieve root and then reloads the stock recovery. Since the recovery was changed, even temporarily, the knox flag was tripped. So to summarize for those that didn't understand. You can root your phone with safe root and not trip knox, but once you install a custom recovery to flash custom roms or flash mods you will trip the knox warranty flag. Safe root provides you a method to debloat your phone and use apps that require root, but you can't install custom roms unless you install a recovery which will then trip the knox flag.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0

Euclid's Brother
Old
Thanks Meter 255

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
You can not install a custom recovery without tripping the knox warranty flag. That is what trips the flag in the first place not rooting. If you use safe root to root your phone the knox warranty flag is not tripped because it doesn't change recovery. If you use cf autoroot, knox is tripped because cf autoroot loads a modded stock recovery to achieve root and then reloads the stock recovery. Since the recovery was changed, even temporarily, the knox flag was tripped. So to summarize for those that didn't understand. You can root your phone with safe root and not trip knox, but once you install a custom recovery to flash custom roms or flash mods you will trip the knox warranty flag. Safe root provides you a method to debloat your phone and use apps that require root, but you can't install custom roms unless you install a recovery which will then trip the knox flag.
Does it not matter "How" the custom recover is installed? I'm sure flashing the custom recovery through ODIN will trip knox, regardless of whether the phone is already rooted or not. But once you achieve root, can you DD the custom recovery directly to the partition from the adb connection w/o tripping KNOX? That's how we used to avoid tripping the CUSTOM counter on the E4GT before Triangle Away was available.
Epic 4G Touch VeNuM EL13 beta (EK02 modem)
Acer Iconia A500 - Taboonay

Follow me on Twitter

Contact me on GTalk: euclidsbrother is my gmail contact
Donate to my Root Beer fund

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclid's Brother View Post
Does it not matter "How" the custom recover is installed? I'm sure flashing the custom recovery through ODIN will trip knox, regardless of whether the phone is already rooted or not. But once you achieve root, can you DD the custom recovery directly to the partition from the adb connection w/o tripping KNOX? That's how we used to avoid tripping the CUSTOM counter on the E4GT before Triangle Away was available.
I believe it will still trip knox counter. It's a 'deeper' chip level mod.
But hey, please give it a go! If that works many people would be pretty happy.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.