FORUMS

Devs Beware – Automatic Backup Privacy Risks

One new feature of “Android M” (speculation on potential names welcomed … more

Android M to Bring New App Drawer

It has now been seen that Android M will receive a new app drawer as part of the stock … more

Which IO Announcement Are You Most Excited About?

The keynote we had all been waiting for has just ended and it’s time to enjoy … more

Google Launches Google Photos At I/O 2015 Keynote

While rumors have been floating around for a while, the Google I/O 2015 has made … more

[Q] 4.3 performance and battery life

Thanks Meter: 8
 
By LuckyLinUK, Member on 30th January 2014, 05:51 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I installed 4.3 last week which I now bitterly regret:

- memory footprint has almost doubled
- battery life has almost halved
- most applications no longer launch immediately, there is a black screen or a hang for several seconds before the apps actually launch

Is that to be expected or is there anything that can be done?

By the looks of it, Samsung may have expedited my move to another manufacturer.
 
 
30th January 2014, 11:27 PM |#2  
tweeny80's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 398
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLinUK

I installed 4.3 last week which I now bitterly regret:

- memory footprint has almost doubled
- battery life has almost halved
- most applications no longer launch immediately, there is a black screen or a hang for several seconds before the apps actually launch

Is that to be expected or is there anything that can be done?

By the looks of it, Samsung may have expedited my move to another manufacturer.

Be helpful if you further identified what ROM and build number you use.

Also do u have any mods installed e.g. Note 3 app package?

Don't let available RAM discourage you, Android is meant to use what's available to offer an improved user experience.

Overall, for me the upgrade to 4.3 from 4.1 is a large improvement. Assuming you're on stock 4.3 try a custom ROM. Try them all. That will keep you busy for a while
30th January 2014, 11:49 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeny80

Be helpful if you further identified what ROM and build number you use.

Also do u have any mods installed e.g. Note 3 app package?

Don't let available RAM discourage you, Android is meant to use what's available to offer an improved user experience.

Overall, for me the upgrade to 4.3 from 4.1 is a large improvement. Assuming you're on stock 4.3 try a custom ROM. Try them all. That will keep you busy for a while

I use stock, never rooted and updated via OTA. No mods and I did not install anything new after the update. The reason I am concerned about the memory footprint is that it correlates with the performance - it's never great, but anything beyond 1.5Gb and it almost becomes unusable.

While I appreciate the advice, I don't want to go down the route of a custom rom, it should work fine with what the manufacturer provides who does not provide a downgrade option.

I anticipated that Samsung would bungle this too, that's why I could kick myself for installing this.
31st January 2014, 12:03 AM |#4  
tweeny80's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 398
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLinUK

I use stock, never rooted and updated via OTA. No mods and I did not install anything new after the update. The reason I am concerned about the memory footprint is that it correlates with the performance - it's never great, but anything beyond 1.5Gb and it almost becomes unusable.

While I appreciate the advice, I don't want to go down the route of a custom rom, it should work fine with what the manufacturer provides who does not provide a downgrade option.

I anticipated that Samsung would bungle this too, that's why I could kick myself for installing this.

Yup, I'm picking up what you're laying down...

Keep in mind Samsung released sub par 4.3 builds to many users. Their later releases were vastly improved. Check your build number. Be aware that by rooting you can install a stock Rom that is the latest revision.

I get your stance on stock but given the reality, aren't you best served to take matters into your own hands?


sent from my mobile
31st January 2014, 12:21 AM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeny80

Yup, I'm picking up what you're laying down...

Keep in mind Samsung released sub par 4.3 builds to many users. Their later releases were vastly improved. Check your build number. Be aware that by rooting you can install a stock Rom that is the latest revision.

I get your stance on stock but given the reality, aren't you best served to take matters into your own hands?

Cheers.

Well, OTA tells me that the latest update is installed so I presume that all their builds are bungled. I don't wish to void the warranty, or worse, brick the device with a custom ROM setup.

Installing and testing different roms until you find one that works is time consuming and I just want a working phone.

But you are right about taking matters into my own hands, I am going to the phone store tomorrow and check out what would suit me, Nexus perhaps or a Lumina.

As far as I am concerned, that was the first and last Samsung phone I have bought.
31st January 2014, 12:37 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag North London
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLinUK

Cheers.

Well, OTA tells me that the latest update is installed so I presume that all their builds are bungled. I don't wish to void the warranty, or worse, brick the device with a custom ROM setup.

Installing and testing different roms until you find one that works is time consuming and I just want a working phone.

But you are right about taking matters into my own hands, I am going to the phone store tomorrow and check out what would suit me, Nexus perhaps or a Lumina.

As far as I am concerned, that was the first and last Samsung phone I have bought.

I would strongly suggest the HTC One or its soon to come successor. Wonderfully polished device and I would argue it's the most fluid Android phone around. It's certainly the most beautiful construction wise. Similarly I much prefer the sense ui over the ghastly samsung touchwiz ui.

Alternatively try a factory reset of your current, although this will be time consuming and, quite frankly, a pain in the ass.
Last edited by fade2black101; 31st January 2014 at 12:41 AM.
31st January 2014, 04:39 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Do a factory reset.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 mediante Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.3, battery drain, performance, slow
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes