Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 performance and battery life

Tip us?

LuckyLinUK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thumbs down [Q] 4.3 performance and battery life

I installed 4.3 last week which I now bitterly regret:

- memory footprint has almost doubled
- battery life has almost halved
- most applications no longer launch immediately, there is a black screen or a hang for several seconds before the apps actually launch

Is that to be expected or is there anything that can be done?

By the looks of it, Samsung may have expedited my move to another manufacturer.

tweeny80
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLinUK View Post
I installed 4.3 last week which I now bitterly regret:

- memory footprint has almost doubled
- battery life has almost halved
- most applications no longer launch immediately, there is a black screen or a hang for several seconds before the apps actually launch

Is that to be expected or is there anything that can be done?

By the looks of it, Samsung may have expedited my move to another manufacturer.
Be helpful if you further identified what ROM and build number you use.

Also do u have any mods installed e.g. Note 3 app package?

Don't let available RAM discourage you, Android is meant to use what's available to offer an improved user experience.

Overall, for me the upgrade to 4.3 from 4.1 is a large improvement. Assuming you're on stock 4.3 try a custom ROM. Try them all. That will keep you busy for a while

LuckyLinUK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeny80 View Post
Be helpful if you further identified what ROM and build number you use.

Also do u have any mods installed e.g. Note 3 app package?

Don't let available RAM discourage you, Android is meant to use what's available to offer an improved user experience.

Overall, for me the upgrade to 4.3 from 4.1 is a large improvement. Assuming you're on stock 4.3 try a custom ROM. Try them all. That will keep you busy for a while
I use stock, never rooted and updated via OTA. No mods and I did not install anything new after the update. The reason I am concerned about the memory footprint is that it correlates with the performance - it's never great, but anything beyond 1.5Gb and it almost becomes unusable.

While I appreciate the advice, I don't want to go down the route of a custom rom, it should work fine with what the manufacturer provides who does not provide a downgrade option.

I anticipated that Samsung would bungle this too, that's why I could kick myself for installing this.

tweeny80
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
I use stock, never rooted and updated via OTA. No mods and I did not install anything new after the update. The reason I am concerned about the memory footprint is that it correlates with the performance - it's never great, but anything beyond 1.5Gb and it almost becomes unusable.

While I appreciate the advice, I don't want to go down the route of a custom rom, it should work fine with what the manufacturer provides who does not provide a downgrade option.

I anticipated that Samsung would bungle this too, that's why I could kick myself for installing this.
Yup, I'm picking up what you're laying down...

Keep in mind Samsung released sub par 4.3 builds to many users. Their later releases were vastly improved. Check your build number. Be aware that by rooting you can install a stock Rom that is the latest revision.

I get your stance on stock but given the reality, aren't you best served to take matters into your own hands?

sent from my mobile

LuckyLinUK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeny80 View Post
Yup, I'm picking up what you're laying down...

Keep in mind Samsung released sub par 4.3 builds to many users. Their later releases were vastly improved. Check your build number. Be aware that by rooting you can install a stock Rom that is the latest revision.

I get your stance on stock but given the reality, aren't you best served to take matters into your own hands?
Cheers.

Well, OTA tells me that the latest update is installed so I presume that all their builds are bungled. I don't wish to void the warranty, or worse, brick the device with a custom ROM setup.

Installing and testing different roms until you find one that works is time consuming and I just want a working phone.

But you are right about taking matters into my own hands, I am going to the phone store tomorrow and check out what would suit me, Nexus perhaps or a Lumina.

As far as I am concerned, that was the first and last Samsung phone I have bought.

fade2black101
Old
(Last edited by fade2black101; 31st January 2014 at 12:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Cheers.

Well, OTA tells me that the latest update is installed so I presume that all their builds are bungled. I don't wish to void the warranty, or worse, brick the device with a custom ROM setup.

Installing and testing different roms until you find one that works is time consuming and I just want a working phone.

But you are right about taking matters into my own hands, I am going to the phone store tomorrow and check out what would suit me, Nexus perhaps or a Lumina.

As far as I am concerned, that was the first and last Samsung phone I have bought.
I would strongly suggest the HTC One or its soon to come successor. Wonderfully polished device and I would argue it's the most fluid Android phone around. It's certainly the most beautiful construction wise. Similarly I much prefer the sense ui over the ghastly samsung touchwiz ui.

Alternatively try a factory reset of your current, although this will be time consuming and, quite frankly, a pain in the ass.
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, LG Nexus 4

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

el_loco_max
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do a factory reset.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 mediante Tapatalk

Tags
4.3, battery drain, performance, slow