5,598,718 Members 38,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM 11 not my cup of beer... Er tea

Tip us?

indstrlmtlhd
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I use Darthstalker, from the installer you can choice what Samsung, Google & TMO apps you want, with a few exceptions which I then use TI to uninstall.
Only thing from Samsung I keep is their keyboard, and only thing from TMO I keep is Visual Voicemail & Wifi Calling. I then use Nova Launcher with a custom icon pack & custom widgets. It runs sp much better than CM 10 nor CM 10.1 did on my old phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to indstrlmtlhd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muqali
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul89 View Post
With the note, it really makes sense to stock with a stick based ROM so that you will have all the good features Samsung has made.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
TW ROMs are pretty good. Stock is like 20% good Samsung features and 80% Samsung crap bloat. Once you strip the bloat, it's hard to beat it. I'd prefer AOSP based on philosophical reasons, but when I have to actually use the phone, I tend to TW things.
Android FOSS Repository - http://f-droid.org/

knite75
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I don't understand what's all this CM11/AOSP craziness is all about.

Out of curiosity, I installed the officially nightly CM11, and used it for a few days.

My only reaction was WTF(?).

It's like taking a luxurious Mercedes S500, and stripped it down for the drag strips.

No S-Pen functionality. Camera sucks balls. No Wifi Calling. No Smart Stay or anything.
I collect Bitcoin
164rGy3NpizGH6iFo9rfxfiBTVEqxfHa7H

nighthawk626
Old
Thanks Meter 218
Aosp is not for everyone just like touchwiz isn't for everyone. What it all cones down to is the freedom of it. Regardless of whatever features touchwiz or aosp comes with, nobody will put a gun to your head to use one or the other. Its a preference thing. Just like choosing between apples and android. There can be centuries of argument or discussions about it but at the end of the day, you like what you like. Me personally I've grown to love touchwiz modified on the note 3 but my daily driver is forever aosp. Personal preference

jahnbodah
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by knite75 View Post

Out of curiosity, I installed the officially nightly CM11, and used it for a few days.

It's like taking a luxurious Mercedes S500, and stripped it down for the drag strips.

No S-Pen functionality. Camera sucks balls. No Wifi Calling. No Smart Stay or anything.
On note 2 I always stuck with touchwiz (tweaked ROM) because I always felt like I was missing features on aosp/cm based ROMs. Temasek ROM has finally got me to switch to a cm based ROM... And stay there.

With just a few apps, you can (mostly) add back spen functionality. When I pull my pen out it makes a noise and turns the screen on, if the screen is already on it will pop up a window so I can choose a notepad app (papyrus) or to take/edit a screenshot. The other thing I missed that cm based ROMs didn't have were notifications on the lockscreen. Temaseks ROM has lockscreen notifications, and I actually like those better than the tw ones. Also halo is really cool.

The biggest reason I stuck with touchwiz though was battery life. Again, temasek has solved that. I am getting good battery life, and some people are posting screenshots of over 24 hours off charger and 11 hours on screen time... I haven't got that yet, but my battery life is pretty good.

Just remember, you don't have to agree with other people and join a camp... Just use what you like.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jahnbodah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d12unk13astard
Old
Thanks Meter 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by indstrlmtlhd View Post
I use Darthstalker, from the installer you can choice what Samsung, Google & TMO apps you want, with a few exceptions which I then use TI to uninstall.
Only thing from Samsung I keep is their keyboard, and only thing from TMO I keep is Visual Voicemail & Wifi Calling. I then use Nova Launcher with a custom icon pack & custom widgets. It runs sp much better than CM 10 nor CM 10.1 did on my old phone.
Same setup as me, and i agree about stability. I loved cm on my older phones with less memory but with 3gb ram, even if it was stock unbloated this phone flys!! Best phone i have ever used in my life and im sure ill say it again once i buy the note 4 as well!

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium
Current Device: T-Mobile Note 3 (SM-N900T)

Past Devices:

Sprint Note 2 (L900) - Hanging on to
Sprint Galaxy S2 - Sold
T-Mobile G2X (P-999) - Sold
T-Mobile Mytouch4G - Sold
T-Mobile G1 (Dream) - Sold

ggabriele3
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by knite75 View Post

You're right that the stock camera app is garbage, but its worth noting that Google heard those complaints with the Nexus 5 and promised to improve.

With the car analogy, understand that some people see it more like a Porsche GT3. Sure the stock 911 Turbo has plenty of speed, but some people are happy to trade features for even more speed.

Flashing nightlies is like taking a ride in the prototype, where the engine hasnt been tuned and they still have the stock suspension because the new one didn't come in the mail, so you're getting oversteer and it's stalling all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk