Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 43,437 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

regarding flashable "custom ROMs"...

Tip us?

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Default regarding flashable "custom ROMs"...

So I found online a flashable .zip file of 4.4 KitKat, listed as made by Dhacker (along with the accompanying Gapps.zip file). I flashed the files and everything seemed to work fine, but I wasn't able to restore all my apps with Titanium Backup because the phone was no longer rooted. I don't have much experience flashing ROMs, is this a common occurrance? Is there a way to root the phone post-custom ROM install? I'm sure there is, my question is more of "how do I root after flashing a custom ROM"... Do I just need to flash a .zip file of SuperSU or something? If so, does someone have a link to the SuperSU.zip file I can download? Or do i just go to the Play Store (or use Gapps) to get SuperSU?

Thanks to all the continuous help out there!
"The best part about the internet is you get to see everyone's childish tantrums first hand."

"If only the internet allowed me to punch stupid people in the face. Then people wouldn't vomit their idiocy onto my monitor."

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
All them views and no one has an answer?
"The best part about the internet is you get to see everyone's childish tantrums first hand."

"If only the internet allowed me to punch stupid people in the face. Then people wouldn't vomit their idiocy onto my monitor."

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAsADroid View Post
So I found online a flashable .zip file of 4.4 KitKat, listed as made by Dhacker (along with the accompanying Gapps.zip file). I flashed the files and everything seemed to work fine, but I wasn't able to restore all my apps with Titanium Backup because the phone was no longer rooted. I don't have much experience flashing ROMs, is this a common occurrance? Is there a way to root the phone post-custom ROM install? I'm sure there is, my question is more of "how do I root after flashing a custom ROM"... Do I just need to flash a .zip file of SuperSU or something? If so, does someone have a link to the SuperSU.zip file I can download? Or do i just go to the Play Store (or use Gapps) to get SuperSU?

Thanks to all the continuous help out there!
You might try google more. Your answers are in the dev section threads. Cm11 comes with a noob- no root access.
Press repeatedly on the build # , in about phone, to enable dev options
It may have changed.
I stay away from 4.4's but http://true-android.blogspot.com/201...926-to_16.html
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the CM11 nightly link. "Updated nightly" means I have to flash a new file every night for the bug fixes and updates?

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAsADroid View Post
Thanks for the CM11 nightly link. "Updated nightly" means I have to flash a new file every night for the bug fixes and updates?
Nightlies are usually built automatically. Sometimes, they have bug-fixes, sometimes they don't even boot. It's at your own risk to flash nightlies.

jmcdonald58
Old
Thanks Meter 309
I have run the official
Nightlies now for months and they are good CM now has updated built-in so it painless

R

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Devices
MotoX DE XT1053
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Nexus 5
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Rogers Droid Razr XT925
Rooted/Stock/Xposed
Nexus 7 2012
Rooted Stock w Xposed
Asus Eee pad Transformer