[Q] For security reasons, how to permanently locate my phone?

OP gabriel_4000

25th January 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
I worry about having my smartphone stolen from me. I cannot use Knox, since I was using a Custom rom, even though I'm back to stock without root, I can no longer use it. So, is there a way to install an app that would track my phone location EVEN if the criminal installed another rom via odin on my cell phone? Or did a hard reset? Is there a way to keep the app on the phone even after that so I coulg see online its location?
25th January 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

100 posts
The only way is to put inside a GPS tracker, independent from the phone. Somewhere inside, on Internet is a service manual which can show you how to open your phone.

Write down your IMEI. It's the only way to find out a phone using only 2g. And have to be done by the police.
This can't help you if they turn off the phone and later they break the IMEI and clone/create fake one. (I'm not sure how it's working).

Samsung find my mobile is also a solution, but you must have 3g data nonstop on, and your phone on of course.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to note2nooby For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 131

384 posts
More
Mobile Security & IMEI tracking & barring
There are quite a lot of mobile security or Anti-Theft apps out there that can help to track a phone, remotely control & wipe your phone contents & potentially help recover your phone. I personally use Mobile Security & Antivirus . If you want lower than Android OS level then you have to rely on IMEI tracking & barring services by your local telcos & enforcing agencies. The mechanism is suppose to work across the world under the alliance across all participating telcos, but reality is up to them to choose.

Hope the above help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_4000

I worry about having my smartphone stolen from me. I cannot use Knox, since I was using a Custom rom, even though I'm back to stock without root, I can no longer use it. So, is there a way to install an app that would track my phone location EVEN if the criminal installed another rom via odin on my cell phone? Or did a hard reset? Is there a way to keep the app on the phone even after that so I coulg see online its location?

The Following User Says Thank You to xbean For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #4  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 256

799 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_4000

Try this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.apps.adm
Just clear your data once u found out that your phone is lost. Also, take note of your IMEI number, so that your carrier can track it in case of hard reset.

P.S. avast has this app for anti theft, looks good but never tried yet. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntitheft_setup root required.

Smack that Thanks button if I helped!
KitKat came in on my OmniROM, running on my Note 2.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to Irwenzhao For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 10:36 AM   |  #5  

15 posts
I only use avast anti-theft. It works very well.

Enviado do meu GT-N7105 através de Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to JolliuS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag england
Thanks Meter: 1,060

1,360 posts
Donate to Me
More
Your phone gets nicked antivirus/antisecurty ain't gonna do anything since we use recovery/download mode

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to stevendeb25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #7  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolliuS

I only use avast anti-theft. It works very well.

Enviado do meu GT-N7105 através de Tapatalk

+1
30th January 2014, 11:07 AM   |  #8  

30 posts
Not every phone thief knows xda so you can try to use the Android Device Manager, there is no way to block download mode. It sucks not to have a thing like a bios password.
31st January 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 22

100 posts
Just came with this today, it won't help to locate your phone all the time though.
But it will make a hell for who steal it. It will be useless...

Go to your settings menu and in Lock Screen set password, strong one at least 12 characters and numbers. Then encrypt your device. Later install Knox and all it's features. Set pin also.

Then once they turn off the phone it's over bye bye.

There are no person who can reset it, but a Samsung service. And your IMEI is important, write it down!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
anti-theft, security, tracking
Previous Thread Next Thread