Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 8.0 note taking vs 2014 10.1

Tip us?

Han Solo 1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 162
Default Note 8.0 note taking vs 2014 10.1

So I'm thinking of picking up a Note 8.0, and would like to ask two questions before I do so.

1. Is the note taking quality (inking, lack of lag, etc.) on the 8.0 the same as the 2014 10.1 edition?

2. How is the screen quality on reading an ebook or PDF? Any pixelation?

Thanks in advance.
I've got a bad feeling about this.

intelliriffer
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
So I'm thinking of picking up a Note 8.0, and would like to ask two questions before I do so.

1. Is the note taking quality (inking, lack of lag, etc.) on the 8.0 the same as the 2014 10.1 edition?

Thanks in advance.
1. Cannot compare as have not tried Edition 10.1, but if you mean free-hand note taking then I don't feel any lag/latency in s-note or write app as well as few others. There are some apps (vector) that have some lag, but that imo is more due to app internal issues than device itself. Handwriting recognition obviously has lag and latency by design.

2. My primary purpose is notes/drawing and lots of reading, and find it very good, (much better than having a secondary 24" HD monitor in portrait).
Unless you are reading very tiny(micro italic text) font rendering is very good. It also has setting of making text more legible (smoothing/anti-aliasing/ClearType) that also helps a bit.

Just get some decent book reader app and that's all. I can't tell any pixelation even with it as close as 3 inches from eyes and that I consider good enough for all practical purposes than pixel peeping/hunting. Sure there are some jagged edges if you look close for them but unnoticeable for any normal reading/viewing distance.

My only gripe is the aspect ratio with digital magazines I have subscriptions for. pdf /CBZ/CBR as those usually suit more to 4:3 than to 16:8 (white space in portrait fit width mode), but so is the issue with any other tab too samsung or otherwise other than the iPads).

raul4916
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
1. I like it a lot. I use for my College Courses many times. I also take pictures of handouts so I can keep it in my notes(I lose worksheets easily).
2. You can notice the pixels if you look closely. If you are reading normally it should not be a problem. I use it to read many textbooks and casual reading books.I also watch netflix very easily.

note 10.1 Should be better(That is why it is more expensive) but if you want just a to go tablet, Note 8.0 is for you

P.S.: If you can wait longer, Samsung will probably release a 2.0 version of the tablet. Should probably be much better.

Han Solo 1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 162
Thanks for the responses!

I bought the 8.0 a few days ago, and while I like the compact design and the screen size, I can't get past the slight pixelation while viewing PDF's (I sold my retina mini to get this, so I'm used to a very good display).

I'm going to return it and go for the 10.1-14. I need a tablet for work and school, both of which require frequent note-taking and PDF annotation. I simply can't wait for an 8.0 refresh, since I only have 14 days to return.

Oh well.

Great tablet, almost perfect.
I've got a bad feeling about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Han Solo 1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Quote:
Thanks for the responses!

I bought the 8.0 a few days ago, and while I like the compact design and the screen size, I can't get past the slight pixelation while viewing PDF's (I sold my retina mini to get this, so I'm used to a very good display).

I'm going to return it and go for the 10.1-14. I need a tablet for work and school, both of which require frequent note-taking and PDF annotation. I simply can't wait for an 8.0 refresh, since I only have 14 days to return.

Oh well.

Great tablet, almost perfect.
I have both and the 10.1 2014 Edition is much better for constant note taking. The 10.1 is much snappier as well.
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable

FaeMinx
Old
Thanks Meter 54
How does the battery life compare between the two?

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeMinx View Post
How does the battery life compare between the two?
The Note 10.1 2014 has much better battery life.
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable