Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,880 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS Issues

Tip us?
 
mingonn
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default GPS Issues

Sounds like I am not the only one having GPS issues with my HAM. I have tried pretty much everything to improve things but with little or no success. Just to be clear I am talking about GPS locking and accuracy not AGPS (mobile tower) or WIFI based location which seem to work fine.

Hopefully this thread will get noticed by HUAWEI and they will fix the problem which in my case is :
Inconsistent GPS locking, sometimes it locks on pretty quick < 1min other times the GPS icon in the notification bar just keep flashing.
Inaccurate GPS location when it does lock with the position jumping around.
Location and heading changes when stationary which are probably related. Looks like internal compass maybe buggy or is not getting used.

I very dependent on GoogleMap and its Navigator which is where the above issues have been identified. I tried Waze which seems to dampen the location and direction jumping a bit but the initial lock was still a problem.

Same issues in B906 and B907 roms, haven't tried B221 (trying it next but it looks like others experienced the same with this rom)

Tried:
GPS Status and Toolbox - no difference
GPS Fix - no difference
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1563226 - Used Method 2 and with SSL as suggested by member svvv - Improved AGPS and WIFI based location lock but didn't help with the GPS

Never had this problem with any of my previous 4 Androids and even my old Windows Phone worked flawlessly. Maybe its something to do with my HAM being a Chinese model and it also having GLONASS which has better coverage in the northern hemisphere. Will see if I can set it to just use just the US GPS system in the build.prop.

Its a shame that Huawei stuffed the GPS on the HAM, it would be my perfect phone otherwise, if I can't get it going reliably it will be the Galaxy Mega for me as much as I hate Touch Wiz......

Location Access enabled with both and wireless networks enabled.
Google account Location settings enabled.
2GB no NFC International Model, rooted.
 
svvv
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 159
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonn View Post
Sounds like I am not the only one having GPS issues with my HAM. I have tried pretty much everything to improve things but with little or no success. Just to be clear I am talking about GPS locking and accuracy not AGPS (mobile tower) or WIFI based location which seem to work fine.

Hopefully this thread will get noticed by HUAWEI and they will fix the problem which in my case is :
Inconsistent GPS locking, sometimes it locks on pretty quick < 1min other times the GPS icon in the notification bar just keep flashing.
Inaccurate GPS location when it does lock with the position jumping around.
Location and heading changes when stationary which are probably related. Looks like internal compass maybe buggy or is not getting used.

I very dependent on GoogleMap and its Navigator which is where the above issues have been identified. I tried Waze which seems to dampen the location and direction jumping a bit but the initial lock was still a problem.

Same issues in B906 and B907 roms, haven't tried B221 (trying it next but it looks like others experienced the same with this rom)

Tried:
GPS Status and Toolbox - no difference
GPS Fix - no difference
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1563226 - Used Method 2 and with SSL as suggested by member svvv - Improved AGPS and WIFI based location lock but didn't help with the GPS

Never had this problem with any of my previous 4 Androids and even my old Windows Phone worked flawlessly. Maybe its something to do with my HAM being a Chinese model and it also having GLONASS which has better coverage in the northern hemisphere. Will see if I can set it to just use just the US GPS system in the build.prop.

Its a shame that Huawei stuffed the GPS on the HAM, it would be my perfect phone otherwise, if I can't get it going reliably it will be the Galaxy Mega for me as much as I hate Touch Wiz......

Location Access enabled with both and wireless networks enabled.
Google account Location settings enabled.
2GB no NFC International Model, rooted.
If ur AGPS is working fine eventually ur GPS should work fine. AGPS will use network to locate the GPS satellites.
try changing AGPS settings in the Ascend Mate secret menu *#*#2846579159#*#* under backgroundsetting
 
mingonn
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2009
Thanks Svvv, will see what options come up. GPS usually eventually locks but it's never that accurate. Will A GPS improve this?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk
 
svvv
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 159
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonn View Post
Thanks Svvv, will see what options come up. GPS usually eventually locks but it's never that accurate. Will A GPS improve this?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk
AGPS wont be that accurate as GPS...but whenever mobile cant fix a position with GPS satellites it goes for AGPS until GPS becomes active. U will not see any difference in the navigation.

Also try using GPS in the open skies mostly u wont get a fix inside a house or closed areas.
 
mingonn
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2009
Thanks Svvv, that's what I found. Still can't believe Huawei couldn't get this right, even my wife's $50 ZTE's gps works like a dream. Searching through the P6 forums shows similar problems, not surprising given the similar hardware. I'm starting too suspect it's a hardware problem, maybe antenna related so I'm not confident of a software fix. Spent far top much time on this and I need accurate navigation so it's so long HAM. It's a shame, great phone otherwise, going too miss the battery life.....

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk
 
mingonn
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2009
GPS update. Tried B221 for a week but GPS issues were the same, positional accuracy was seemed slightly worse.

Rom was more stable than b907 though, no random reboots or system freezes bit b907 has better functionality. Very jealous of my wife's nexus 5, can't tell you how good the hardware and software is. A absolute bargain!

Can't go back to a small screen though, fingers crossed we see a nexus 6 to bridge the gap

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk
 
theoppositeman
Old
#7  
theoppositeman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 325
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonn View Post
GPS update. Tried B221 for a week but GPS issues were the same, positional accuracy was seemed slightly worse.

Rom was more stable than b907 though, no random reboots or system freezes bit b907 has better functionality. Very jealous of my wife's nexus 5, can't tell you how good the hardware and software is. A absolute bargain!

Can't go back to a small screen though, fingers crossed we see a nexus 6 to bridge the gap

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk
since i dont quiet use gps in phones (i'm using other gps only gadget) i'm sure there must be something missing in the HAM that prevent it having good GPS signal/system.
well, if you ever wanted to replace the HAM, still wanted the same Batt Power, big 6.1", why not go for the HAM 2 which is LTE version with many improvements over the first HAM, heard that they improve GPS too.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more