InfiniApps Magnetic Car Mount

Search This thread

Smitelight

Jun 11, 2010
Applecantistan
So you're sick of not being able to find a "gripper" mount for your car that can hold your giant-ass Note 3? Be prepared to settle for a sausage-down-a-hallway tablet mount or one of a handful of BBW car mounts made for your fat bottomed phablet.

But wait! Thanks to the magic of miracles, (magnets, you philistine!) there are other options!

71BRD8sBzJL._SX425_.jpg

InfiniApps makes a universal and brand-agnostic magnetic holder with the oft-questioned CD-slot mount. They're fairly cheap, very reliable, and have been through five incarnations of redesigns. The latest of which holds well in all sizes of disk slots, doesn't break at the neck, and most importantly to us, has FOUR strong magnets in the mount face to hold even our heavy Betty, chubby tubby, plus sizer, wide load, is this joke dead yet, Note 3.

Because the S-Pen appears to use at least a partially magnetic sensor for the hover function, it will be inaccurate (though within 5mm) with the S-Pen whilst mounted to any magnetic mount. Finger touches are entirely unaffected of course, as is the S-Pen when not currently on the mount itself.

61-y2urS74L._SX425_.jpg

The mount comes with two steel plates, one with adhesive, one without. Both plates have one side coated with a thin plastic scratch prevention film. I use the adhesived plate on the inside of the back cover, though you could just as easily do the same on the outside or use the adhesive-free plate and just let it sit inside. It doesn't pull the back cover off or cause any cosmetic distortion of the device.

Amazon is always a good way to go for reliability and shipping speed.

navAmazonLogoFooter._V169459313_.gif
"InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount" on Amazon.com
*deep breath* whew, mouthful!

Price-wise, however, is another matter. Meritline.com is a long-running and reliable Chinese import company. They have warehouses on the west coast for their most popular items, but mostly ship from China. If you don't mind a two-to-four-week wait, you can get a lot of stuff at a heavily discounted rate. Meritline's usual prices are generally the same or just under Amazon's but then you get their Daily Deals.

Meritlinecom-Logo-N.jpg
"InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Any Smartphones, Magnetic Cell Phone Mount with Quick Snap Technology" on Meritline.com
Long title writers, stahp!

Today, and several times a month, the normally $25 mount is discounted with a coupon code. MLCQ13RN (as of 1/13) in the shopping cart gets you eight (count em, 8!) bucks off, for a $17 final price tag, including free shipping. That's almost half what Amazon's ticketing the same item at. Both sellers are selling the same Generation 2, Version 2, reinforced-neck, stronger-magnetic-head item. The choice, if you want the thing, is up to you whether you go for 2-day free shipping and a higher cost or the longer wait and cheaper price tag.

I've used this exact mount for a month now (and two of the previous incarnations for over a year) without a hitch. I picked up the prior Generation 2 mount with the weaker neck from Amazon, it broke in a week, and they replaced it with nary a fudge with the new version. I've shopped with Meritline.com for half a decade and their customer service is genuinely on par with Amazon. Break something or have another issue, snap a photo of the damaged goods, and they've never failed to replace or refund the purchase.

Disclaimer: I'm not an employee for Meritline, Amazon, or InfiniApps. I'm unaffiliated with all, though there's an Amazon Associates tag in the link above. Don't want to risk me getting a few cents of kick back if you choose the more expensive, faster, option? Here's a clean link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPMNNUO/.

unleashd

May 2, 2012
Can you provide some personal reviews of negative impacts of having a magnet stuck behind the phone? Heard this has caused issues with Wi-Fi, NFC and also in some cases BT comms.

Smitelight

Jun 11, 2010
Applecantistan
Can you provide some personal reviews of negative impacts of having a magnet stuck behind the phone? Heard this has caused issues with Wi-Fi, NFC and also in some cases BT comms.
I use BT almost exclusively for audio in the car and it's never been an issue at all. There are little-to-no magnetizable parts in your phone so it shouldn't care at all. I just did some oh-so-scientific testing, and the metal plate hasn't become magnetized enough after MANY hours of use, (including a two way cross country trip last month) to affect a small paperclip sliding around on the back at all. I get the exact same signal strength for 4G and 3G on my MotoX, which I also use with the mount. I don't have cell service on my N9000 but WiFi appears unaffected. Yes, I just tested both.

Considering how many OEM phone cases use a magnet to signal the phone it's attached (iDevices and the OG Droid come to mind), I think it's fairly safe to say there's no real impact on the device's radios. The magnets aren't outrageously powerful. A really hard bump would probably knock the Note 3 off, but it provides hardly any resistance to intentionally pulling it free.

Reactions: unleashd

magnum870

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think it's the magnetism that causes the problems. It's the metal plate that would block some wireless comms. But if you haven't seen any degradation that's good.

Do you use wireless charging?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Smitelight

Smitelight

Jun 11, 2010
Applecantistan
I don't think it's the magnetism that causes the problems. It's the metal plate that would block some wireless comms. But if you haven't seen any degradation that's good.

I don't. I expect there are better solutions for Qi aficionados, however. I wouldn't risk inducing a current in the metal plate up against the battery like that, but I also don't know if that would matter.

Zlog

Sep 8, 2007
I've had this mount for almost as long as I've had the phone with no issues. The metal plate that allows it to stick on the magnetic pad is the same height/width as the battery, so in theory the only impact will be to your NFC, however I haven't had any issues the few times I have used NFC.

I posted about it here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47364749&postcount=146

and here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47466507&postcount=151

and here I followed up with some pics:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49092686&postcount=199

Depending on the case you use, the rubber may not have much "grip" (mostly with soft-touch cases, however my Spigen UltraFit works out. It isn't that the magnet isn't strong enough, it's just that bumps and vibrations will *slowly* cause the phone to rotate on the pad... this can be avoided by centering the weight, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitelight

shorty87

Jun 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I have the iMagnet which is very similar. Have used NFC, WIFI, and Bluetooth with no issues. No negative impact on the phone at all.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Comatose

Jan 26, 2006
I would've loved to gotten this mount or the mountek ngroove snap.. if it weren't for the darn s-view case! (don't like the idea of pressing against the sview screen while folded backwards.. also a magnet too strong seems to trigger the s-view screen)

dbeth

Mar 23, 2011
I've had this mount since the summer. Liked it so much, my wife got one as well.

Holds my Nexus 7 no problem either. Just slap it up there, then on Waze, and off I go!

Sent from my Note 3 via the Interwebs.

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
If you don't mind bulk you could buy a trident kraken ams case and then buy the modular car mount...

Sent from my SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

asianflavor

Oct 15, 2009
Momence
Does this only use the CD slot to mount this? I just bought a CD-less Pioneer deck. I could probably mod the radio install kit to mount this but would like to know if the CD slot is the only mount point for this.

Mr. Toad

Jul 28, 2009
Does the mount have a ball joint it is connected to? I have a proclip in my car and wonder if I can attach it to that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

marthinollys

Apr 25, 2013
Very glad I purchased this. Love having my phone so close. Great design and solid construction. Edit: one unfortunate negative is you can't use NFC Techtiles because of the magnet.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use BT almost exclusively for audio in the car and it's never been an issue at all. There are little-to-no magnetizable parts in your phone so it shouldn't care at all. I just did some oh-so-scientific testing, and the metal plate hasn't become magnetized enough after MANY hours of use, (including a two way cross country trip last month) to affect a small paperclip sliding around on the back at all. I get the exact same signal strength for 4G and 3G on my MotoX, which I also use with the mount. I don't have cell service on my N9000 but WiFi appears unaffected. Yes, I just tested both.

Considering how many OEM phone cases use a magnet to signal the phone it's attached (iDevices and the OG Droid come to mind), I think it's fairly safe to say there's no real impact on the device's radios. The magnets aren't outrageously powerful. A really hard bump would probably knock the Note 3 off, but it provides hardly any resistance to intentionally pulling it free.

I've had this mount for almost as long as I've had the phone with no issues. The metal plate that allows it to stick on the magnetic pad is the same height/width as the battery, so in theory the only impact will be to your NFC, however I haven't had any issues the few times I have used NFC.

I posted about it here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47364749&postcount=146

and here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47466507&postcount=151

and here I followed up with some pics:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49092686&postcount=199

Depending on the case you use, the rubber may not have much "grip" (mostly with soft-touch cases, however my Spigen UltraFit works out. It isn't that the magnet isn't strong enough, it's just that bumps and vibrations will *slowly* cause the phone to rotate on the pad... this can be avoided by centering the weight, though.