Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Few questions on de-bloating and de-cluttering Note 10.1-14

OP supremekizzle

31st January 2014, 09:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33

167 posts
So, I got in on that fabulous groupon deal and will be expecting my new note soon. I currently own the OG one, but haven't played around with root at all on it. So, once my new one gets here I want to immediately root and de-clutter. I found this nice guide here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513532 and have a couple of questions regarding some things. First, world it be preferable to just disable apps or delete /uninstall them after making backups with titanium? What does renaming apps to .bak do? Thanks guys!!! can't wait for my new note to arrive!
31st January 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 353

1,058 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle

So, I got in on that fabulous groupon deal and will be expecting my new note soon. I currently own the OG one, but haven't played around with root at all on it. So, once my new one gets here I want to immediately root and de-clutter. I found this nice guide here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513532 and have a couple of questions regarding some things. First, world it be preferable to just disable apps or delete /uninstall them after making backups with titanium? What does renaming apps to .bak do? Thanks guys!!! can't wait for my new note to arrive!

If you are going to root, I would just install CleanRom 2.0. Scott has done all the work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrage23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 5

14 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by sSPenremekizzle

Hi you can use the custom rom HAL 9000. Except SPen anything else is removed, but when needed you can install Samsung stuff via the Samsung App-Store. It's fast and less probe compared to the Samsung Software.
31st January 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

167 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23

If you are going to root, I would just install CleanRom 2.0. Scott has done all the work for you.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into that. Do you know the answers to my original questions?
31st January 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #5  
Flag Friedrichshafen
Thanks Meter: 441

721 posts
More
Quote:

First, world it be preferable to just disable apps or delete /uninstall them after making backups with titanium? What does renaming apps to .bak do? Thanks guys!!! can't wait for my new note to arrive!

Personally I just disable system apps most of the time. If you are going to delete them after backing them up then you can save some storage but it is not that much (also the storage is under /system so you dont really have a profit. Renaming apps to .bak prevents them from starting as android will not be able to execute them. You could also name them ".bloat". It is used to make them not executable. Hope I was able to help you a little bit.
Enjoy your new tablet!

Gesendet von meinem SM-P600 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to benni_1994 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #6  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 353

1,058 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into that. Do you know the answers to my original questions?

I always just froze apps in Titanium. Newer devices have enough space that uninstalling does not get you much back. Renaming to .bak is basically like freezing/unistalling as the OS will not see them as installed. Which rom you would install would depend on if you are getting the wifi (CleanRom) or LTE(HAL9000) tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrage23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

167 posts
Thanks to both of your helpful replies. Now, when renaming or freezing the app, is it going to cease to show in the drawer? Does the file directory get moved when renaming? Thanks
31st January 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 92

315 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23

...Newer devices have enough space that uninstalling does not get you much back. ...

Not only that, since the apps are in the system partition, uninstalling gives you zero back in terms of space, unless are you are changing the system partition size, which rooting does not do. In the past, I've frozen with Titanium backup. Now I just disable the the apps I don't want if I think those apps are doing things in the background I don't want. If I don't want them, but it doesn't appear they are causing any harm (e.g., don't show up on BetterBatteryStats) I will typically leave them enabled, but hide them with Apex. Apps that are are disabled/frozen/renamed don't appear in the drawer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread