Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Help with Updating Android on Unlocked AT&T S3 I747 for MetroPCS/TMobile

OP edo101

31st January 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Hey guys so I decide to get the SGH-147 AT&T S3 off of ebay for MetroPCS which enabled me to get a 2 year squaretrade warranty. After looking back at it now, I feel it might have been a bad idea since Metro has a MIR 349.99 deal for their S3 version which would mean easier android update since it would be on Metro servers if I'm not mistaken. Anyway I can't return the ebay phone now unless there is some software or hardware problems within 30 days

So my problem
I am stuck on 4.1.1 on Kies and when I check for update, because the phone is based on AT&T servers, it won't work since I'm on Metro. I wanted to see if there is anyway for me to update my phone to 4.3 which is the current version. Although, I've heard some people have 4.3 problems?

If that's not advisable, could y'all tell me how I could atleast get to Android 4.1.2? Also is there a 4.4 update in the works?
I just got the phone today and would like to be running on something better than 4.1.1

should I flash the AT&T phone to a MetroPCS ROM lol, if any of those are actually available, or if I were to flash, should I flash it to Tmobile?
Last edited by edo101; 31st January 2014 at 03:56 PM.
31st January 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101

Hey guys so I decide to get the SGH-147 AT&T S3 off of ebay for MetroPCS which enabled me to get a 2 year squaretrade warranty. After looking back at it now, I feel it might have been a bad idea since Metro has a MIR 349.99 deal for their S3 version which would mean easier android update since it would be on Metro servers if I'm not mistaken. Anyway I can't return the ebay phone now unless there is some software or hardware problems within 30 days

So my problem
I am stuck on 4.1.1 on Kies and when I check for update, because the phone is based on AT&T servers, it won't work since I'm on Metro. I wanted to see if there is anyway for me to update my phone to 4.3 which is the current version. Although, I've heard some people have 4.3 problems?

If that's not advisable, could y'all tell me how I could atleast get to Android 4.1.2? Also is there a 4.4 update in the works?
I just got the phone today and would like to be running on something better than 4.1.1

should I flash the AT&T phone to a MetroPCS ROM lol, if any of those are actually available, or if I were to flash, should I flash it to Tmobile?


There are numerous options. The best depends on your choice. I recently rooted my AT&T phone and installed Cyanogenmod 10.2, based on android 4.3. Check it out. It is super cool.
31st January 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_legolas

There are numerous options. The best depends on your choice. I recently rooted my AT&T phone and installed Cyanogenmod 10.2, based on android 4.3. Check it out. It is super cool.

Lets say I do it and I find out my singal or some issues I can't stand arise, can I reflash down to 4.1.1?

Btw any links to a stock 4.1.2 ROM? And do the battery on these phones run longer with newer Android flavors. The S3 battery I have is atrocious
31st January 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #4  
aybarrap1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 161
 
592 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
AT&T 4.1.2 and 4.3 update is officially only available via OTA. But this requires being on the AT&T network. The are zip files available on XDA to get these updates but I strongly suggest you read up on things first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
31st January 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybarrap1

AT&T 4.1.2 and 4.3 update is officially only available via OTA. But this requires being on the AT&T network. The are zip files available on XDA to get these updates but I strongly suggest you read up on things first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Do you have any links on how to do the 4.1.2 update on an unlocked phone? I searched on google (admittedly i suck with google) but couldn't find much info.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes