Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,278 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Back & Menu buttons not working, nor keyboard

Tip us?

Flapjack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Back & Menu buttons not working, nor keyboard

I'm really hoping someone can help me. My back and menu buttons stopped working today, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with a failed Swype install.

I'm running AOKP 4.4.2 (1/25 build) on my VZW Galaxy S4 (jfltevzw). The phone has been running great, but I can't stand the new kitkat keyboard. I decided to try Swype again, after dumping it a few years back.

I installed the free Swype (which obnoxiously comes with Dragon also), but I couldn't get past step two (select default keyboard). The wizard just wouldn't progress further. I went into the menu to try switch manually, but I trying to type would just bring up the installer again. I tried switching back to the stock keyboard via Settings>Language, but nothing would happen when I tried to type. The only thing I could do was reboot.

When I booted back up, the menu and back buttons would no longer work. I tried clearing dalvik and cache, resetting permissions, reinstalling AOKP and Gapps, and so on and so forth. I'm backing everything up to do a hard wipe, but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is it failing during the Swype install just coincidence? I can't see how it could be....

Flapjack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
After a hard-reset / factory wipe, everything is working again.

I will not be installing Swype on AOKP/KitKat again, hehe.