Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 40,007 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Web hosting and web development on android

Tip us?

QuantumPSI
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Web hosting and web development on android

Hello everyone,

I am starting to get into web development and learning to code. I'd really like to learn how to use my devices for these purposes. I know there are ways to turn my tablet/phone into a web server (KSWEB), however, I am a bit unclear on a few things and not sure where to look or go.

The intent is to use my cell phone as a hot spot and then use my tablet as a web host to serve my laptop (all connected via the cell phone hot spot). I've seen how to access a web site you are hosting from a device on the device itself, but I am not clear on how to access the hosted site from another device WITHOUT a router and port forwarding. For example, let's say I'm at a cafe, I have my cell phone, tablet, and laptop. How can I access the website hosted on my tablet with my laptop through the cell phone? Would I need port forwarding through the cell phone to do this?

The reason why I want to go through my cell phone as a hot spot is so that I can still have internet access (via mobile network) on the laptop and tablet while still able to access the site hosted on the tablet.

Cell phone: Sprint Galaxy Note II (rooted)
Tablet: Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (un-rooted, will root when computer arrives)
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 Touch (ordered)

I apologize if none of this makes sense or if I'm over complicating things. Just trying to get a handle on things before the computer arrives so I can jump right in and begin learning and coding. Also, the reason why I want to host on the tablet (instead of the laptop itself) is so that I can dive into development now while I wait on my computer (won't arrive until mid-march). Figure, I'd just keep the tablet as the hosting source.

dev47
Old
(Last edited by dev47; 31st January 2014 at 07:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
When you create a hotspot with your phone, the phone becomes the "router".
So if you laptops IP address is eg. 192.168.0.100, the the phone IP will be "192.168.0.1" (the last octet is always "1" for the router).

Your tablet will be just like the laptop and have its own IP address, eg. 192.168.0.102.
You can connect to it simply by entering its IP address into you laptop. Since they are on the same network it'll just work.
- Nexus One CM7 - HTC One Developer Edition -
Developer: DroidCam DroidCamX
[new] Munchkin Monitor - A reliable Baby Monitor!
Preferred contact method: email (dev47apps at gmail) or via dev47apps.com
The Following User Says Thank You to dev47 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

QuantumPSI
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks! I was clearly over thinking it, but this is all new to me.

I'll try this out as soon as I am able. Thank you dev47!