5,600,123 Members 42,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Device drivers in the Kernel or the ROM?

Tip us?

denalijb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Device drivers in the Kernel or the ROM?

I've been rooting phones for a few years and it always seems to amaze me how much different a device driver can be depending on what ROM is installed even with the same kernel. In most of my years as a sysadmin, many drivers are compiled into the kernel, but there are many that can be added during the init process.

My question is, how does the android kernel/ROM function in respect to drivers such as Bluetooth? Do most of the developers add them into the Kernel or as some piece of the ROM?

Thanks.

J

denalijb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by denalijb View Post
I've been rooting phones for a few years and it always seems to amaze me how much different a device driver can be depending on what ROM is installed even with the same kernel. In most of my years as a sysadmin, many drivers are compiled into the kernel, but there are many that can be added during the init process.

My question is, how does the android kernel/ROM function in respect to drivers such as Bluetooth? Do most of the developers add them into the Kernel or as some piece of the ROM?

Thanks.

J
Appears I've answered my own question. I did some research and a few tests and this appears to be 90% in the kernel. On to my specific issue is that every new ROM or kernel I try for my SGS3 never seems to work correctly with bluetooth. I had heard samsung's driver is closed source, but I also remember it working perfectly in 4.2.2 ROMs.

I think it may be time to compile some source on my own.