5,599,911 Members 45,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

XAP archive

Tip us?
 
jordanmills
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 100
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, TX
Default XAP archive

I'd really like to see a XAP archive made available. I have a personal archive of some apps that I've bought. The idea is to mitigate situations where an app is no longer available on the marketplace (for whatever reason - temporary misidentification by MS certifier techs, trademark dispute, developers not renewing their store accounts, etc) even though you purchased it and have a license for it.

One potential problem (and why I'm not posting my own collection here) is that it would enable installation of paid apps by people who didn't buy a license - piracy.

Regardless, is there some sort of archive to mitigate the above situation? Is there any effective way to do it without enabling pirating apps while respecting the rights of people who bought licenses?
 
ceesheim
Old
(Last edited by ceesheim; 15th February 2014 at 11:08 AM.) Reason: Typo
#2  
ceesheim's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1862
Posts: 3,068
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
I'd really like to see a XAP archive made available. I have a personal archive of some apps that I've bought. The idea is to mitigate situations where an app is no longer available on the marketplace (for whatever reason - temporary misidentification by MS certifier techs, trademark dispute, developers not renewing their store accounts, etc) even though you purchased it and have a license for it.

One potential problem (and why I'm not posting my own collection here) is that it would enable installation of paid apps by people who didn't buy a license - piracy.

Regardless, is there some sort of archive to mitigate the above situation? Is there any effective way to do it without enabling pirating apps while respecting the rights of people who bought licenses?
remove WMAppPRHeader.xml from the xap Archive ( xap is just a .zip Archive that is renamed to .xap)



the hottest geek girl in the world SassiBoB, SassyBoB, Sassy BoB, sassibob

Iron Fist !!!

XDA-Developers is all about Developers
 
jordanmills
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 100
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceesheim View Post
remove WMAppManifest.xml from the xap Archive ( xap is just a .zip Archive that is renamed to .xap)
Only works if you have access to the unencrypted XAP.
 
matgras
Old
#4  
matgras's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 673
Posts: 2,083
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hoogeveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
Only works if you have access to the unencrypted XAP.





It always works.








Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk, sorry for the excessive amount of spaces. its a bug in tapatalk.
"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."
"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"


Phone: Samsung Ativ S
Os: Windows Phone Gdr3
Rom: Wolfrom 2.0
 
jordanmills
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 100
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by matgras View Post
It always works.








Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk, sorry for the excessive amount of spaces. its a bug in tapatalk.
So how do you open a XAP downloaded from the store?
 
titi66200
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 456
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PERPIGNAN
You can not.
Xap downloaded from the store are protected by DRM.
Nokia Lumia 1020: GDR3
HTC Titan: New Gen 2.3 OS 7.10.8862.144.
HTC HD2: New Gen 2.3 OS 7.10.8862.144.
Asus Slate EP121: Windows 8.1
 
jordanmills
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 100
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by titi66200 View Post
You can not.
Xap downloaded from the store are protected by DRM.
Are you talking to me? That was my whole point.
 
GoodDayToDie
Old
#8  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
Posts: 5,301
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Also, removing the app manifest makes the app completely not installable, which may prevent piracy but also renders the archived XAP file pretty useless...

To the OP, I don't know of any real way to do what you're asking, short of just making a personal collection and not sharing it.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.


Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
 
ceesheim
Old
#9  
ceesheim's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1862
Posts: 3,068
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Also, removing the app manifest makes the app completely not installable, which may prevent piracy but also renders the archived XAP file pretty useless...

To the OP, I don't know of any real way to do what you're asking, short of just making a personal collection and not sharing it.

lol typo

I ofcourse mean :WMAppPRHeader.xml



the hottest geek girl in the world SassiBoB, SassyBoB, Sassy BoB, sassibob

Iron Fist !!!

XDA-Developers is all about Developers
 
Amadeus01
Old
#10  
Amadeus01's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 245
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Westerlee
You cant open the downloaded XAP, cause of the crypto

When you do, you wil see the following error



Currently used devises

Nokia L1320 / L520
And
Samsung Gt-P5100

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more

Multiboot in Progress for the Sony Xperia Z1

As we’ve mentioned quite a few times in the past, multiboot is quite the interesting … more

Samsung EFS Tool Updated to V5, Brings Universal Device Support

You may recall that we’ve talked about XDA Recognized Contributor … more