Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Looking into a Windows RT Tablet perhaps....

OP bucket81

31st January 2014, 11:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

78 posts
So I want to get a Windows 8 tablet. I currently have a Asus TF300T (android) and I'm not quite happy with it. I want something that's actually productive. I do a bit of photography and saw that you can connect to a desktop with your tablet and work remotely (I need to look more into this) I figure I could use this and not actually put the images on the tablet or Lightroom. The only thing I see a draw back with the Surface RT is no pen support this is something I would really like. Does anybody have any suggestions on an RT or full windows tablet that has pen support. I'm looking at used Surface RT tablets for around $300 and would like to keep it around there. I have also seen the original Surface Pro for around $500 ( at that price I'm going to have to convince the wife )
1st February 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #2  
Flag Wieluń
Thanks Meter: 28

149 posts
More
You can connect to desktop the same way both from Android and Windows RT. There's official Remote Desktop app from Microsoft in Play store. And I don't think that it will be fast enough to work with Lightroom without any lags and other problems.

Windows RT is locked platform, without jailbreak you can use only ModernUI apps (+these few desktop ones that are included in OS), after jailbreaking a couple more that were recompiled to ARM archtecture.
If you like hacking your device, like in Windows Mobile times, it may be good for you. But if it's all about working through remote desktop - first try to use this on your Transformer.

There's no WinRT tablet with pen support, sorry. Also, if you're thinking about working remotely with magnetic pen - this will just not work. You need to buy something with x86, like Surface Pro and use your software directly on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 02:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,620 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

There's no WinRT tablet with pen support, sorry

WinRT != Windows RT.
2nd February 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
More
I wouldn't recommend the Surface
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket81

So I want to get a Windows 8 tablet. I currently have a Asus TF300T (android) and I'm not quite happy with it. I want something that's actually productive. I do a bit of photography and saw that you can connect to a desktop with your tablet and work remotely (I need to look more into this) I figure I could use this and not actually put the images on the tablet or Lightroom. The only thing I see a draw back with the Surface RT is no pen support this is something I would really like. Does anybody have any suggestions on an RT or full windows tablet that has pen support. I'm looking at used Surface RT tablets for around $300 and would like to keep it around there. I have also seen the original Surface Pro for around $500 ( at that price I'm going to have to convince the wife )

Unless you really need Microsoft Word 2013, the Surface has nothing on Android. If I had known, I would have gotten the $500 Pro before the $200 RT. The Pro allows you to run non-Windows-Store apps so this means you could, in essence, install, say, a device that Microsoft doesn't include drivers for.
The Following User Says Thank You to streetsesh92 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 01:19 PM   |  #5  

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

You can connect to desktop the same way both from Android and Windows RT. There's official Remote Desktop app from Microsoft in Play store. And I don't think that it will be fast enough to work with Lightroom without any lags and other problems.

Also check out Splashtop, which works on Windows 8/RT, Windows Phone, Android, and iOS and actually streams from your desktop computer at low latency. It has a mode for quality and a mode for speed, so you can select the one the suits your task. It is fast enough to play games with, though you usually have to run them in windowed mode since it can only capture full-screen video content from certain Nvidia graphics cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsesh92

Unless you really need Microsoft Word 2013, the Surface has nothing on Android. If I had known, I would have gotten the $500 Pro before the $200 RT. The Pro allows you to run non-Windows-Store apps so this means you could, in essence, install, say, a device that Microsoft doesn't include drivers for.

I'd argue they have pretty close feature parity. Most apps for Android have an equivalent on the Windows Store, or a web-based equivalent. Windows 8 RT has much much better file browsing capabilities since you can use the full windows file browser in desktop mode. I don't know of any Android tablets that have a full usb port, and Windows RT supports many more devices. A Windows RT device operates as a standalone computer, one which you could connect your cell phone to transfer files, back-up, or otherwise administer it (or your Android tablet for that matter). Especially for a photographer, being able to connect an external media card reader or directly to the camera is a huge plus. Personally, I think the Windows 8/Metro interface is much cleaner and more fluid than Android's (I hate icon-grid layouts). So, I'm not sure where you are coming from saying Surface has "nothing on Android". It's quite competitive.
3rd February 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #6  

7 posts
More
I just meant in the sense that RT is still fairly new and Android is already matured, with loads more apps. You are right about the USB port, though.
4th February 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,862 posts
More
RT also has much better multitasking, especially if jailbroken and using desktop apps. Browser + text editor + IM client + calculator all on the screen at once, with a Skype call in the background? No problem.

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread