5,597,354 Members 31,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there any use for a custom kernel if you're not going to overclock?

Tip us?

The_Beginning
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is there any use for a custom kernel if you're not going to overclock?

Is there any use for a custom kernel if you're not going to overclock?

Bakisha
Old
Thanks Meter 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beginning View Post
Is there any use for a custom kernel if you're not going to overclock?
For me, one of best feature of custom kernels is possibility to have 640MB data storage (compared to 380MB that phone have with stock kernel).
Overclock is good to have, as an option to have when needed.

There are other features (like multiboot or even to add extra partition on sd card for more app storage) and lot's of tweaks to little spead up phone generaly.

The_Beginning
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakisha View Post
For me, one of best feature of custom kernels is possibility to have 640MB data storage (compared to 380MB that phone have with stock kernel).
Overclock is good to have, as an option to have when needed.

There are other features (like multiboot or even to add extra partition on sd card for more app storage) and lot's of tweaks to little spead up phone generaly.
If I were to use a custom kernel, how would it affect performance/battery life compared to the stock kernel?

Richard Bound
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Usually custom kernels speed up the device as well as improving battery life. However, depending on the kernel, this may not be the case. For example if a kernel is overclocked, the performance will be increased at the expense of battery life.