Unlimited tethering on s4 using slimbean

OP F9zSlavik

1st February 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 13

394 posts
More
I have 3 lines, all with unlimited Internet but tmobil only allows 2.5gb of tethering. Currently using slimbean stable on my s4, how do I get unlimited tethering? I've tried Wify Tether app but it doesn't work.
I went into the apn settings and I see several options.

Any advice would be appreciative. Spent an hour trying to figure this out :/
1st February 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

301 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F9zSlavik

I have 3 lines, all with unlimited Internet but tmobil only allows 2.5gb of tethering. Currently using slimbean stable on my s4, how do I get unlimited tethering? I've tried Wify Tether app but it doesn't work.
I went into the apn settings and I see several options.

Any advice would be appreciative. Spent an hour trying to figure this out :/

Have they actually capped you? I used over 30gb last month... with native tether.... Otherwise use the search function and report back.... I'd like to know the answer also but too lazy to look
2nd February 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #3  
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 464

813 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't think any AOSP Roms have the data cap hack. Most of the TW Roms have the hack baked into the system. You may wanna try TW before going over your data limit. I have unlimited and use tethering all the time also I use the Wi-Fi tether app instead of the native hot spot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
2nd February 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4,412

6,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow

I don't think any AOSP Roms have the data cap hack. Most of the TW Roms have the hack baked into the system. You may wanna try TW before going over your data limit. I have unlimited and use tethering all the time also I use the Wi-Fi tether app instead of the native hot spot.

There is no such thing as a "data cap hack" there was one years ago, but it doesn't work anymore. All data traffic is now monitored via T-Mobile servers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #5  
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 464

813 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

There is no such thing as a "data cap hack" there was one years ago, but it doesn't work anymore. All data traffic is now monitored via T-Mobile servers.

Agreed! What I meant by that is unrestricted native tethering.

4th February 2014, 01:06 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego

394 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow

Agreed! What I meant by that is unrestricted native tethering.

So I am stuck @ 2.5gb? I called TMobil to increase my tethering, they said NO.
I see people all over the forums saying they have unlimited tethering by hiding their data usage and they always emphasize not to abuse it. I am giving tmobil a good large sum of money, 200 bucks.

So nobody knows of a unlimited tethering method?

Been looking around, according to some, Cyanogen should already come with the necessary coding to allow unlimited tethering but than again I am using SlimBean which I do not know if that has anything to do with it.
4th February 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #7  

6,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So I am stuck @ 2.5gb? I called TMobil to increase my tethering, they said NO.
I see people all over the forums saying they have unlimited tethering by hiding their data usage and they always emphasize not to abuse it. I am giving tmobil a good large sum of money, 200 bucks.

So nobody knows of a unlimited tethering method?

Been looking around, according to some, Cyanogen should already come with the necessary coding to allow unlimited tethering but than again I am using SlimBean which I do not know if that has anything to do with it.

Again, unlimited tethering is impossible through "coding." It is handled by T-Mobile servers. A little Googling would tell you what you have to do however, I always thought if you paid 15 bucks extra each month they would include unlimited tethering?

4th February 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego

394 posts
More
Quote:

Again, unlimited tethering is impossible through "coding." It is handled by T-Mobile servers. A little Googling would tell you what you have to do however, I always thought if you paid 15 bucks extra each month they would include unlimited tethering?

Yeah I have been google and xda searching, I'm obviously not looking correctly or do not know what exactly to look for. Been trying to use the app Wifi Tether for Root Users but it does not show my device, only the atnt model, it's useless so far unless if myabe I go to an older version maybe?
I dont mind paying 15 bucks but they said they do NOT offer unlimited tethering only web access.
Is something keeping you from posting the information I am looking for or your trying to see if I can figure it out on my own by somewhat directing to a place I have already tried looking for but failed because I am a noob lol

Tried this video but no go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBh7NpNFEw
4th February 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #9  

6,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yeah I have been google and xda searching, I'm obviously not looking correctly or do not know what exactly to look for. Been trying to use the app Wifi Tether for Root Users but it does not show my device, only the atnt model, it's useless so far unless if myabe I go to an older version maybe?
I dont mind paying 15 bucks but they said they do NOT offer unlimited tethering only web access.
Is something keeping you from posting the information I am looking for or your trying to see if I can figure it out on my own by somewhat directing to a place I have already tried looking for but failed because I am a noob lol

Tried this video but no go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBh7NpNFEw

Lol, im trying to teach you the wonderous magic of searching It seriously helps A LOT. I hardly post any threads asking for this that and the other thing because i always find it by searching. Its how i found the answer to your question However, unlike other XDA members, i don't mind a little coaching to help you get your answer, some guys are just like. "God learn to use search. Pointless thread. effing noob" lol.

But you were on the right track when you said "hiding their data usage." thats exactly what you need to do. And to add to your search terms, encrypt your data will hide the usage Go my young grasshoper, search and yee shall find
4th February 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Quote:

Lol, im trying to teach you the wonderous magic of searching It seriously helps A LOT. I hardly post any threads asking for this that and the other thing because i always find it by searching. Its how i found the answer to your question However, unlike other XDA members, i don't mind a little coaching to help you get your answer, some guys are just like. "God learn to use search. Pointless thread. effing noob" lol.

But you were on the right track when you said "hiding their data usage." thats exactly what you need to do. And to add to your search terms, encrypt your data will hide the usage Go my young grasshoper, search and yee shall find

OK, I am an admitted noob to this site, just joined today in fact, but that is only because I have been trolling these forums looking for a clear answer to this issue for weeks now. I also have TM and am capped. I use my mobile hot spot to do my homework for the online school I attend. and recently switched from the big V to TM because of the cost, and now I'm screwed. I have searched so many forums and term strings it is not funny. I have tried vpn, hotspot shield, private internet access, and a host of wifi tether apps, and have not found a working combo. I have even tried modifying strings using SQLite. Most app combinations will not activate hotspot, and those that do cause laptop browser to redirect to t-mobile sale page. I will beat them... I will. But I joined xda for a little help, if you anyone does not wish to give the easy answer, I absolutely understand, just please direct me to the forum that has solved this as I am not "yet" a dev, but I'm getting there.

my config:
Model: SGH-M919
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband: M919uvuamdl
Kernal: 3.4.0-453951
se.infra@SEP-133#1
Build: JDQ39.M919UVUAMDL
SELinux Status: Permissive
Rooted using ODIN because at the time I had read Odin was the only way.
Stock ROM

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread