XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

applies to at&t i527 Mega

Tip us?

sashusmom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Default applies to at&t i527 Mega

Just got my at&t mega. I have a Ptel sim going in my iphone, and a lyca paygo in my Note. Was thinking of maybe activating the phone on one of these, but just went thru instead of accepting the contract on the phone and activating with the new att sim. BOY, that was the right thing to do!!!! I'll tell you why. I'm not sure if the Mega is affected, but better safe than sorry.

Just went onto cellunlocker to see how much to unlock with their generated code. They now have a new disclaimer. The following is taken from cellunlocker's site.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER: If you have a Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3 or your Android version is Android 4.4 (KITKAT)

All SAMSUNG devices manufactured after the date of JULY 2013 and Samsung devices running on Android version is Android 4.4 (KITKAT) are subject to REGION LOCKING

If your phone has been used previously with the original carrier, this will not apply to you. However, if your device is BRAND NEW, your must activate it with the original carrier.

If your Samsung device becomes Region locked, you will not be able to fully factory Unlock your Samsung devices so it can be used internationally. Even the correct code will not work anymore.

In order for your Samsung device NOT to be region locked, you MUST activate (FIRST USE) your S3, S4, NOTE 2, NOTE 3 with your ORIGINAL carrier at least ONCE to take your region lock OFF. After your Region lock is off, you can Sim Unlock your device via Unlock Code.

*All Canadian Carriers are NOT subject to Region Locking

*All USA and European Carriers ARE subject to Region Locking

So, activate on your carrier first. Then unlock and use a prepaid sim!!!

It was a quote of $30 to unlock the Mega
SG Note- Jedi/SOA GalaxyNexus-Flapps unofficial 12/17
Nexus 7 tab TF101/dock
It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 864
I read that.

Hi Sashusmom.........how u doin?
Welcome aboard the mothership.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to captemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dparrothead1
Old
Thanks Meter 1286
Welcome to Mega, Sashusmom! Happy your daughter is doing so well!

I have sim unlocked two phones with AT&T. I just called and got the codes from AT&T.....took like 10 minutes, including wait time.

Sent from my rooted i527.
The Following User Says Thank You to dparrothead1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sashusmom
Old
(Last edited by sashusmom; 17th February 2014 at 12:56 AM.) Reason: add. info added.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by captemo View Post
I read that.

Hi Sashusmom.........how u doin?
Welcome aboard the mothership.

Thanks capt! Doing great, but I hear the first step is admission that you have a problem............So.....Here goes...... I am a phone collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
Welcome to Mega, Sashusmom! Happy your daughter is doing so well!

I have sim unlocked two phones with AT&T. I just called and got the codes from AT&T.....took like 10 minutes, including wait time.

Thanks dParrothead! The best part is she got her driving privileges back since she can now hold the wheel!! She is a much happier camper

Nice to know I might be able to save that $30 for unlocking. I haven't been in a contract for nearly 3 years. Depending on how ambitious my husband is and how patient, we might be going to tmo to get rid of all the contracts and see how everyone likes tmobile. It will save over $100 every month for the 4 phones. After my marathon att calls yesterday to get this mega up and running, I asked customer care if there was anyway to cut my bill. Guess we don't spend enough and I was told we could move to the share value plan. Even with the family share plan, it will still cost more money than what we pay now. So, we might be going on a vacation to test tmo waters If there are complaints then we can go back to att contract free.

Well, we ended up staying with ATT. When we were ready to jump ship att brought new family share plans that brought our bill down to t-mobile's bottom line. Sweet!
Just applied for an unlock code for $21. Will post back if successful.
Nexus 7 tab TF101/dock

sashusmom
Old
(Last edited by sashusmom; 18th February 2014 at 07:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Default successful unlock

I went with my iphone for my main att sim. It's just more pocketable. So back to getting an unlock for my Mega. On one of these threads someone recommended unlockcode247dotcom. In all of my research the average unlocks were $30. I found a remote unlock for $25, but the cheapest was unlockcode247 at $21. Worth it to me, considering I got the mega as a free promo from att.

Here is the procedure. 1. apply with the imei#. 2. use Samsung all(nothing specific for the mega). 3. Pay your $21, and wait 1-2 days.

I waited less than 24 hours, Sunday nite into Monday evening. My unlock code was mailed to me. I went onto youtube to see the procedure done-

1. Power off your phone. 2. put in a non-att sim. 3. Power up and you will get the screen to input your unlock code, hit unlock, and hopefully you will get a toast message of a successful unlock!

I put in my new ptel apn, deleted the tmobile one, and I am up and running. My ptel was changed to paygo and I have 3 months to use up the $50 balance. A good way to continue to use my Mega. I also like mighty text which allows me to text from my computer- not available for the iphone.
I bought the Remote message app from cydia, but can't seem to get it working.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************

So I had an interesting discovery. When I first got my Mega, I had a hard time getting data to flow- on Att. The tech help eventually had to have me put in the wap apn just to get 4g and data to flow. Since I wasn't use to having lte speeds, I didn't know any different. My speeds with the wap apn were 6 mbps down and 2-3 mbps up. A little slower than tmobile's and their mvno's. I was happy with that. A couple days later I tried the original apn "phone". At that point, I started getting data on that apn. up to 33mbps down and 6-8 mbps up. I was stunned.

So now unlocked with a tmo mvno provider- ptel- here's what I got. 6-6.5 mbps down, and 2-3 up. On 4g, tmobile carrier....With a phone with no tmo support. Same speeds as the wap apn on att. So I must be in a strong refarmed area. My Orig Note did not do this. Some of you know it was like pulling teeth to get the att note to work on tmobile. Took over a year for reliable modem, and I never did get a good lte one to work. But 4g on the OG Note on tmobile gave faster speed (10-13 mbps down, and 2-3 up) than on att in my area. Those speeds were what I am now getting on the ptel sim on the att phone.

A pleasant surprise to see how a newer att phone works on tmobile's network. It doesn't get lte, but the 4g speeds are pretty good. I know there is a thread here on how to get the hspa bands(1700 and 2100) for tmo working on this att Mega. I can't quite get how to do it, but I see no need. These speeds are good enough for me.
Nexus 7 tab TF101/dock

sashusmom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
see above post!
Nexus 7 tab TF101/dock